Proper care of nubuck shoes at home
Material like nubuck has gained popularity relatively recently. Its main advantages include attractive appearance, durability and charm. Nubuck shoes go well with both a strict business style and a trendy youth wardrobe. Due to the variety of models, such products are suitable for everyday wear or as a "smart" option. It should be borne in mind that nubuck is a whimsical material, and therefore requires special care.
What is nubuck
Outwardly, it is very reminiscent of suede, as it has the same pleasant velvety surface, so many confuse them. But these are two different materials. Nubuck is produced using special cattle skin dressing. In the manufacturing process, it goes through the grinding and dyeing procedures, thanks to which it acquires its final form. Due to its many advantages, nubuck shoes are popular with buyers. Its main advantages include:
- aesthetic appearance
- sufficient strength and wear resistance (although less than suede),
- “Breathable” properties (legs in it will not sweat),
- softness and comfort.
All these qualities make nubuck a favorite material of many mods. But do not forget about some of the shortcomings of shoes made from nubuck:
- the need for careful care,
- mandatory use of special tools
- intolerance to moisture (in wet weather, it quickly loses its original appearance).
Manufacturers use several types of nubuck - natural, artificial and hydrophobic (in other words it is called nubuck oil). Each of them has its pros and cons, which are taken into account in the manufacture of products:
- Natural nubuck is a material of animal origin, which is made from the skin of animals. It is tanned with chrome and salts, then polished with abrasive substances and stained. The result is a soft, gentle, elastic, pleasant to the touch material that is widely used in various fields, including for the manufacture of shoes. But he does not like moisture, capricious, less durable than regular skin, and needs special care.
- Artificial nubuck is made from synthetic polymers, while the skin of animals is not used at all. Thanks to modern technology, it is not inferior in quality to natural, and in some respects even surpasses it. Artificial nubuck shoes are characterized by durability, resistance to pollution, softness and durability. Its minus is the need for careful care, as well as for a natural analogue. In addition, being a completely artificial material, it "does not breathe."
- Hydrophobic (oiled) nubuck is extracted from natural raw materials, but is subjected to additional processing with special fatty solutions during production. Due to this, it acquires water-repellent properties, it becomes as if wet to the touch. Nubuck oil is more practical than other types, better suited for daily wear. Its only drawback is that it becomes very difficult due to the impregnation.
Rules for the care of leather shoes made of nubuck
The secret to the durability of any pair lies in observing the rules of first processing, daily care and storage. Consider how to care for nubuck shoes in steps.
First treatment. It is carried out after purchase before starting to wear using sprays to increase resistance to moisture and fixing color. Three times application with complete drying of the first coat is recommended.
Care every day. This is the removal of contaminants, drying, color restoration and protective impregnation. It is carried out carefully so that the pile does not stick out and stick together. Choose non-woven wipes and soft bristle brushes. When cleaning with a special cream, apply the composition to a sponge and then blot the surface. Use a spray to restore color.
Storage. Allowed in fabric bags and cardboard; polyethylene cannot be used. Dry thoroughly before storage. Store in a cool place away from direct heat.
Very often, nubuck is mistakenly confused with suede. This material began to be used relatively recently in the manufacture of footwear and gained popularity only a few years ago. Its composition and properties are truly unique. Nubuck is leather that is tanned. Material differs from suede in the following properties:
- Suede is obtained from the skin of goats, and nubuck is made from the skins of cattle. Most often, for this, take the skin of a moose, deer, yak. These types of animals are rare, which is why the cost of shoes made from such material is much higher than from alternative raw materials.
- Suede is made on the basis of fats and formaldehydes. In the production process of nubuck mineral salts are used. They give the final material certain qualities, namely wear resistance and ductility.
Many experts argue that nubuck is moody. The inconvenience in its use is that it requires special care. Despite this, nubuck shoes look very elegant and go well with any wardrobe items.
How to care for nubuck shoes
Thanks to the beautiful appearance, nubuck products look expensive and stylish. But their owners should remember to carefully care for them. With improper attitude and careless wear, nubuck shoes will quickly get wet and lose their attractiveness. To avoid this, you must not forget to process the products with special tools. In addition, we must remember that it is undesirable to wear nubuck shoes in wet, rainy weather, because moisture can spoil its shape and appearance. For the same reason, it must not be washed or washed.
Winter nubuck shoes
In winter, nubuck products must be treated with water-repellent impregnation, which will protect them from dirt and moisture absorption. In addition, after each sock, nubuck boots should be wiped with a flannel cloth. If the shoes are very wet, then before cleaning it is necessary to wait until they dry. To do this, fill the product with paper or newspapers and put it to dry away from heaters. You can use special inserts for drying.
In summer, care for nubuck shoes should be no less thorough. Road dust deprives it of its sophisticated appearance, so after wearing it should be wiped with a soft felt cloth or a sponge-brush. For best results, a foam cleaner is recommended. To get rid of shiny spots, shoes and sneakers made of nubuck can be wiped with cotton wool soaked in ammonia. Then raise the pile with a sponge or brush.
How to clean nubuck shoes
To maintain an aesthetic appearance, nubuck shoes require careful maintenance. In this case, stock up on several means at once:
- a water-repellent spray that forms a waterproof coating on the surface of the shoe (it quickly cleans unexpected contaminants),
- brush for gentle cleaning of dust deposits,
- an eraser to remove dirt and stains,
- shampoo for cleansing of dirt and white salt stains,
- cream for nubuck products,
- paint to refresh the color of the product,
- shoe deodorant.
Shoe nubuck shoes in conjunction with the correct use of all these tools will maintain a well-groomed appearance of your favorite products. In this case, you need to remember some nuances. Firstly, before any processing of the product, it should be well dried at room temperature away from heating appliances. Under the influence of high temperatures, the skin dries out and hardens irrevocably. Secondly, in the season of wearing shoes, you need to take care of her twice a day.
In addition, the following actions should be followed when caring for nubuck shoes:
- After drying, dirt is removed from the product with a damp cloth. You should start with the heel, then wipe the sole. After that, use a special brush to clean the main surface.
- Complex stains are removed with a special eraser, foam or shampoo (at the same time they are first applied to the sponge, and not to the product itself).
- Contaminated areas are combed with a brush made of plastic, rubber or metal, raising the pile with movements.
- In the presence of heavily contaminated places or scuffs that cannot be removed, a coloring spray is used to restore skin color.
- After all manipulations, boots / boots should be dried and treated with a water-repellent spray. Then leave to dry completely for several hours.
What not to do with nubuck shoes
Care recommendations include a number of prohibitions:
- do not wash and do not wipe with wet rags,
- do not brush with cream for smooth skin,
- do not leave wet shoes at night,
- do not wear in rain and snow,
- Do not use products with oil in the composition.
Restoring shoes from nubuck
If the boots are greasy, use an eraser for suede, or hold them above the steam - the pile will rise, it can be straightened with a brush with rubber “fingers”.
Use alcohol to remove stains of salt - treat the contours of the stains after drying and brush off the rest with a brush.
To remove greasy stains, starch is suitable: mix it with a small amount of water, apply to the stain and leave to dry. Remove the remains with a brush.
If the shoes are too dirty and you decide to wash them, do it manually using soap without additives. Drying is necessary by tightly stuffing the shoes with a newspaper away from direct heat.
With the appearance of smell, you can fight by freezing, changing insoles, using deodorant for shoes and feet.
If you have any questions, please contact:
by phone 8 800 700-51-96
Nubuck shoe care products
Modern manufacturers offer a huge variety of shoe cosmetics. Often they have approximately the same composition, but differ in cost and quality. Shoe care products will allow your beloved boots to retain their practical properties and presentable appearance for a long time. Well-established brands such as:
Sometimes it happens that the right tool is not at hand. In such cases, home-made nubuck shoe care methods will come to the rescue. They are simple but effective, while all the necessary components for their use, as a rule, are available in every home. Folk remedies will help not only refresh the appearance of the shoe, but also remove old spots. Shoe from nubuck at home:
- Vinegar. It is well suited for removing salt stains and dirty stains. You need to dilute 1 teaspoon of vinegar in 1 liter of cool water. Moisten a cotton pad in the resulting solution, thoroughly clean the contaminated area. Leave to dry, and then comb the pile.
- Stale bread. After removing the crumb, rub the simple spots with a crust of bread.
- Coffee grounds help refresh the color of dark nubuck. Apply gruel from tightly brewed natural coffee to the desired areas, allow to dry, then remove the remains with a brush. For light shades, this tool is not suitable.
How to restore nubuck shoes
During wear, even with careful care, any shoes take on a worn out look. It is unlikely to restore the original gloss, but with the help of simple methods you can improve the appearance of the product. Some methods that will help with this:
- To update the look, you can hold the product over steam. Then wipe with a flannel rag, straightening the villi.
- Grease stains can be easily removed using the following procedure. Blot the dirt with a cloth soaked in gasoline, then sprinkle these areas with talcum powder. After drying, clean the remaining powder with a brush.
- The best solution would be to put the shoes in dry cleaning, where with the help of special means the product will become like new.
An important action in the care of nubuck shoes is its staining. A special cream or aerosol helps return things to a presentable appearance and extend the life of several months. In this case, it is not necessary to resort to the services of specialists - you can paint your favorite boots or shoes yourself, following the instructions attached to the tool. Staining should be carried out in a well-ventilated room, laying a newspaper or paper on the floor. The procedure algorithm consists of the following steps:
- clean the surface of the product from dirt and dust,
- remove the fat layer with a rubber eraser,
- let the product dry
- spray paint at a distance of about thirty centimeters in one coat,
- apply protective agent.
It is necessary to color nubuck shoes in the presence of strong dirt and abrasions that cannot be removed. No need to resort to this procedure too often. For daily care, a special impregnation for shoes is suitable, which will significantly extend its life. It helps to maintain the softness, elasticity and velvetiness of nubuck products.
General Information About Nubuck Shoes
Nubuck is such a material that is made from the outer layer of cow leather, which makes it more durable, but very vulnerable to dust, sand and stains. Regular maintenance is the only way to keep your shoes clean.
There is not much difference between suede and nubuck. Suede leather is made by grinding the inner layer of the skin, and to get the nubuck, grind the outer layer. Nevertheless, this material absorbs water, and this is not the best property for demi-season shoes. In order to correct this deficiency, the skin is subjected to fatliquoring. After which it will have a number of new characteristics: high breathability, the state of nubuck fibers is maintained, the surface of the shoe is made stronger.
In addition to the usual nubuck, you can find boots and boots from oiled nubuck. This material is different in that before sewing shoes, it is impregnated with a special oil composition. Thus, shoes can be worn even when it rains heavily. The appearance of the material is different, it looks slightly wet. There is also a significant difference in density and weight. It has a much longer life and requires less attention to daily care.
It is very important to protect well and take care of new shoes on time. When it comes to nubuck, you need to make more efforts than usual:
- A high-quality protective agent must soak the shoes before they are used. Thus, the repellent properties of water and dirt can be increased several times. In addition, such an impregnation can prevent salt staining and improve thermal insulation,
- The cleaning process involves the use of suitable components. You need to purchase soft brushes. They will be able to clean out all inaccessible places from dirt, including seams,
- a sponge and 10% ammonia will help restore shoes from nubuck to perfect condition. To do this, you need to dilute it in a ratio of 1: 3,
- if the problem lies in the fact that a pile has been taken in due to operation, then you should hold your shoes on a ferry,
- Do not proceed with shoe shine when it is wet.
Summer care for such shoes is quite simple - it is enough to clean it from dust daily. Caring for nubuck shoes in winter is different, because it involves the use of integrated products.They can not only clean the surface of the boots, but also carry out their restoration. Also, such measures will give more protection for nubuck leather.
A bit about the material
The main topic of the review is the search for the answer to the question of what is a nubuck and how to care for it. Let's start by defining the material? This is genuine leather obtained from cattle, past special dressing. It features a velvety fleecy surface and has the following characteristics:
- Excellent wear resistance
- Water resistant
- High air permeability.
There are three types of nubuck used in production:
- Natural. Dressing is made only from materials of animal origin - very durable, does not let water through,
- Artificial. Synthetic materials are used in the production, which allows to increase strength, but reduces the possibility of air circulation,
- Oil or oiled. It is made of genuine leather, it is impregnated with a complex of oils, which increases its resistance to moisture.
The material is very capricious and "finicky" to wear! If you do not want to lose the external qualities and performance of shoes or shoes, we recommend that you look in detail at how to properly care for shoes from nubuck.
Caring for shoes made of nubuck will require special tools. You should start by wiping your shoes with a special nubuck sponge. The first step is to make sure that the sponge is not too coarse so that it does not scratch the surface of the shoe.
Initially, the sponge gently hold on the shoes, but later the pressure on the skin is increased. This will help remove as much dirt as possible.
The next step is to mix a few drops of clear vinegar with water. You can not use brown malt vinegar, as it can discolor the material for shoes. You should take a piece of tissue and moisten it in a solution of vinegar, and then gently apply it to areas of the skin. Gently wipe the entire surface of the shoe with a cloth.
Next, use a plastic suede bristle brush to remove dirt. The next step is to dry the surface of the shoe before the spots on it have cooled. Drying the shoes is important in order to attack the remaining spots for 6 hours or otherwise they will remain permanently on the shoes.
What care products will be needed?
In the arsenal of the owner of such products there should be several proven nubuck shoe care products! We will consider what kind of care products will be needed - when buying, be sure to look for the corresponding nubuck indication on the label.
- Water repellent spray. Allows you to protect shoes from water, dirty stains and stains,
- Shampoo. It is impossible to wash shoes from nubuck under running water with the usual means, therefore, it is necessary to purchase a special shampoo that forms a thick foam,
- Special brush. Thoroughly scrubbing all the villi with a regular sponge or rag is very difficult - a brush will come to the rescue. Manufacturers offer products with double-sided surfaces with rubber and metal teeth,
- Special eraser to remove stains. The gum is made of rubber and crayons of abrasive materials - just rub a small scratch or dirt to mask the damaged area on the shoe,
- Paint. Any fabric begins to lose color after intensive use - a spray bottle will help to refresh the nubuck, even out the shade,
- Impregnation. It is made from a mixture of wax and silicone, as well as fluorocarbon resins - the composition covers the surface, repels moisture and prevents stains.
Caring for a nubuck at home without these special tools is simply impossible! Take care of the purchase of products immediately after buying sneakers or sandals.
If, after all the actions taken, the shoes still remain stained, then the last option is pumice. Carefully rub one side of the stone over the painted part of the shoe to clean off oil and stains.
To combat stubborn stains, you need to shake the combination foam and apply it to the shoes with a brush
It's important to know!
If you do not want to permanently spoil an expensive pair of nubuck shoes, you need to learn certain rules that will help achieve the desired effect. We have collected some tips that will tell you how to care for shoes made of nubuck correctly. Follow the recommendations - then the result of leaving will pleasantly surprise you.
- Any shoe care operations can only be carried out after the material has completely dried,
- In no case do not dry your shoes or bag near the battery or heater - this is a sure way to death of the fabric,
- Use only specialized products designed specifically for this type of web.
- It is not necessary to apply the product immediately to the surface when taking care of the shoes, it is better to squeeze a small amount onto a soft sponge
- Any processing should be carried out in advance - do not do this before going out,
- You need to clean the product daily!
Here we’ll show you how to remove a greasy stain from a nubuck quickly and easily!
Finally, the last piece of advice - caring for oiled nubuck or other material will be much easier if you don’t wear shoes in wet, rainy and slushy weather.
Wet Nubuck Cleaning
The insoles absorb a large amount of moisture and must be removed from the shoes after each long trip. In this position, they dry out very quickly. Ideally, a wet leather boot should dry for 24 hours. And only then can it be used again.
Drying wet shoes must be kept away from radiators and heating devices, as this will cause the skin to warp, dry out and lose its characteristic softness, which cannot be restored. Before leaving the wet shoes dry, it must be stuffed with paper. This will protect the product from deformation and the occurrence of folds and creases.
So we went to the main question - how to care for skin nubuck? Be sure to carry out the first treatment - you will find the care rules on the product box. Most often, the manufacturer recommends applying impregnation three times and let it dry.
The next step is to figure out how to properly care for greased nubuck or other fabric on a daily basis:
- With a dry brush, remove dust and dirt from the surface - carefully walk along the seams and inaccessible places,
- Spread the spray evenly and dry the product thoroughly.
You will learn about how to remove the glue moment from clothes in another instruction.
It will not be possible to avoid pollution - even with the most accurate wear, slight damage occurs. Let's talk about how to care for boots made of artificial nubuck (or natural), if you put a stain:
- Dry the steam
- Rub the eraser over the dirt,
- Clean the surface with a special brush,
- If the impurities are not completely removed, use shampoo-foam,
- Wait for drying and treat a surface with a moisture protective aerosol.
And now some seasonal features! For proper summer care:
- Wipe the sole daily with a damp cloth.
- Remove dust with a brush
- Inside, steam is best treated with a deodorant.
It’s easy to guess how to care for a nubuck in winter:
- Treatment with impregnation and water-repellent sprays is done on a daily basis,
- Every day, clean off salt or chemical stains with a special shampoo, do not leave for later,
- Be sure to whisk the snow as soon as you enter a warm room - otherwise it will melt and damage the surface.
Watch the training video to fix the material and remember the rules for shoe care!
Production and material varieties
There are two main varieties of nubuck - natural and artificial. The first is made from the skins of calves, and the younger the animal, the better and more gentle the leather cloth will turn out. To make the skin soft and supple, it is subjected to chrome tanning. Then the canvas is ground and painted, after which it takes its final form. A kind of natural material, the so-called nubuck oil, is oiled skin, which is subjected to a special fat treatment. Products from it look shiny and have water repellent properties.
Pros and cons
Specialty leather - a sought-after material. Nubuck has a lot of advantages over other types of skin:
- Elasticity. In shoes with a top made of fleecy material, it is comfortable to walk - it quickly takes the form of a foot.
- Aesthetics. Products made of mohair leather look incredibly stylish. This material is pleasant to the touch, it gives clothes and shoes a presentable look.
- Air exchange. A cloth with fibers is better than other types of leather to let air pass through, so feet sweat less in sneakers made of this material.
Spectacular and stylish material has disadvantages. Among them:
- Hygroscopicity. In such shoes you can wet your feet if you wear it in rainy weather. This statement is true for natural material. Artificial nubuck is less susceptible to moisture, has water repellent properties. The same can be said of oiled nubuck.
- The fleecy material quickly loses its appearance - overgrown areas, bald spots appear on shoes and clothes, products from it are easily contaminated. This disadvantage can be compensated for by proper care of the product and accurate operation.
Regular and attentive care will make it possible to keep your shoes clean and extend their useful life. Of course, each material has its own special care products. However, the general rule is one: protection, cleaning, surface renewal and rest.
To properly care for the surface of nubuck at home, you need to use products that have wax in their composition. When the shoe will be thoroughly cleaned, a base coat in the form of liquid impregnation should be applied. If it comes to boots with waterproof Gore-Tex technology, then the impregnation will be used specifically for this type of surface.
As for boots without Gore-Tex, they can be treated with any impregnation for the skin, but it is better to opt for a product with creosote (resin).
Manufacturers offer a large number of tools that can help protect nubuck shoes:
- the gum will dry shoe polish and save from persistent stains,
- Combined foam is intended for washing off water and salt stains,
- a paint that creates a protective coating to improve the color and protect the shoes from rain,
- shoe conditioner or deodorant,
- eraser. Use it to carry out dry cleaning.
It should be remembered that before using the nubuck shoe, it needs to be processed:
- silicone-free waterproofing spray Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof. By spraying it on the surface of shoes or boots, you can achieve complete waterproofness,
- For oil and greasy stains, use the Woly Universal Cleaner. The brush should be immersed in a universal cleaner and apply the product directly on the stain, rub it thoroughly with a brush until it is removed. Allow the product to dry and wipe with a dry cloth. To simply clean the shoes, mix the detergent with water (1: 1) and apply to the shoes. No need to wash and rub the shoes too much,
- To significantly reduce the risk of liquid stains, Woly Protector spray shoes should be treated. First, it should be shaken, then taken vertically and raised 20-30 cm above the shoes. Spray so that the composition falls on the shoes like fog. After this, the shoes should be left for 1-2 hours to dry and then apply a second coat. Leave them to dry overnight
- Velours Cleaner is designed to clean shoes from dirt. You should take a suede brush, then shake and spray on a small area of the skin. Brush the cleaned area well and then wipe it with a clean cloth. When the product is completely dry, you should again raise the nubuck fibers with a special brush to give them their original appearance,
- Hussard Detacheur Curis Textiles from the manufacturer Avel will help with old spots.
Nubuck shoe care rules
To increase the wear resistance of shoes made of nubuck, immediately after purchase it should be prepared for use. In addition, from time to time, shoes made of fleecy leather need to be treated with special means. There are proven methods for the care of shoes made from natural and artificial materials, as well as emergency resuscitation methods for shoe products affected by bad weather.
What can not be done with nubuck
Nubuck products are rather capricious:
- shoes should not be placed in a plastic bag when stored, as the skin must breathe all the time,
- do not start cleaning the shoes while it’s wet, since this action on the contrary rubs the dust on a rough surface,
- No need to apply cream or foam directly to all shoes once. Protective agents in a small amount are applied to a clean cloth or sponge, and only then gently rubbed into the skin,
- the use of ordinary washing powder or soap is prohibited. This will lead to the formation of stains, which are quite difficult to remove.
To care for shoes made of nubuck, it is necessary to use special tools and tools. Worth to purchase:
- Brush with metal or brass teeth. A similar tool allows you to eliminate dirt stains, remove debris from the surface, and process overgrown areas. Sometimes these brushes are equipped with polypropylene fibers. Well, if the device combines several types of bristles, and also has a narrow row of teeth along the edges to clean the seams.
- A brush with rubber teeth - as a rule, they are tubules or wave-shaped protrusions.
- Eraser. To care for shoes made of fleecy leather, an eraser made of rubber and foam rubber is used. Usually the device is two-sided - it has smooth and rough sides. Eliminates mud leaks, traces of salt and even minor scratches.
- Shampoo. To wash sneakers, cream shampoo is used for suede, velor and nubuck. This tool will help clean up dirt, salt traces. Apply it with a sponge, which is included, then the shoes are treated with a brush. A separate type of shampoo is cleaning foam.
- Impregnation. The special composition of the product protects shoes from getting wet, helps to increase the service life of boots, and is used to restore color. The impregnation is released in aerosol cans, it is applied quite simply - using a spray. During the processing of products an unpleasant odor appears, so it is important to first remove the laces, remove clothes from the exposure area. If the product gets on the pants, they will have to be washed in a washing machine to get rid of the smell.
What needs to be done with a new pair?
To increase the wear resistance of sandals or shoes, to avoid the most common problems - getting wet, stains, salt traces, it is advisable to treat a new pair with impregnation after purchase. To do this, spray on the top of the boot from a distance of 20–25 cm. Then repeat the procedure two more times with an interval of half an hour. Impregnation will cover each villus and skin base with a thin water-repellent layer. It is better not to use processed shoes immediately, but after a couple of hours.
How to distinguish a real nubuck when buying?
In order to distinguish natural from artificial nubuck, you can use the following options:
- in the case when there is no label or brand name on the shoes, talking about the naturalness of the material, then the surest way is to use water. It is enough to apply a few drops on the surface of the shoe. Natural nubuck has good porosity, so water is immediately absorbed, which will not happen with artificial coating,
- the next option is exposure to heat. Real skin will surely heat up even at the touch of a hand, and the artificial material will remain cold.
Experts recommend that you clean your shoes in the evening before the dirt on it dries. Daily care at home includes the following activities:
- Cleaning from adhering dirt, dust. To do this, use a dry shoe brush.
- Elimination of scratches with an eraser, treatment of overgrown areas with a brush with metal bristles.
- Seam cleaning.
- After that, the shoes should be dried and impregnated with nubuck and suede on a clean, dry surface - it will help to remove stains and restore the appearance of the pair, giving it water-repellent properties.
The nuances of cleaning light shoes
Light-colored shoes require special care. An important condition: aerosols, shampoos must have a mark that these products do not contain dyes and are suitable for caring for white, beige or yellow skin. Such shoes should not be treated and impregnated if dyes are present in it. In addition, cleaning white boots with a washcloth and detergent is also undesirable - after water has got on the skin, spots and stains may remain on it.
A great way to renew and clean lightly soiled white, beige or red shoes is to use cleaning foam. Such products are available in the form of an aerosol and are sprayed. Foam will collect all the dirt from the pile, then it must be removed with a sponge and dry the product. Steam will not get wet from such a product, while a little humidity after processing can make the surface a little darker. After 1-2 hours, the nubuck will brighten again.
How to care for nubuck shoes
Start looking after shoes made of nubuck immediately after purchase. Each shoe must have the appropriate instructions. But each recommendation contains basic care rules:
- Before applying aerosol, paint or any protective agent, the shoes should be thoroughly dried,
- To speed up the drying of shoes, you can use a newspaper, lumps of paper or special drying machines that operate on the network. When the nubuck is thoroughly dried, all dirt from heels and soles is removed with a damp cloth. The main surface is cleaned with a special brush,
- It is advisable to immediately treat new shoes with a special spray, which will protect the surface from moisture and pollution,
- Every evening or several hours before going outside, the surface is treated with water-repellent substances. It is advisable that they have time to completely dry. Such tools make it easier to clean.
Daily care of shoes made of nubuck allows you to keep the model in its original form for a very long time.
It is undesirable to wear nubuck boots in rainy weather. Rainfall in the form of rain can spoil the appearance of the product and its shape.
Do not dry boots on a radiator or other appliances designed for heating. The material may dry out, warp and lose its softness. As a result, it will be impossible to return to its former beauty.
Care for Fatty Nubuck
Zhirovanny nubuck is wear-resistant, while a pair of such material still requires care. After cleaning products from dirt and dust on the surface you need to apply shoe wax or greasy cream. You need to smear your fingers by wrapping them with a napkin. This will help soften the wax so that it spreads evenly over the surface.
Then the skin should be brushed with a brass pile, helping the cream to absorb better. In addition, the brush will straighten the adhering villi and give the affected areas a pristine appearance.
How to paint nubuck shoes at home
Shoe paint is on the list of basic care products for nubuck material. It allows you to return the product to its original beauty and significantly increases the durability of shoes. Paint should be used not only when worn areas need to be masked, but also when the material becomes dull and uneven.
There are two varieties of coloring substances:
- Paint. Each paint is accompanied by instructions for use, so no one will have difficulties in dyeing shoes. These funds help to restore the original appearance of the product without going to specialized workshops. Before applying the paint, it is necessary to clean the material from all contaminants and dust. Also, the entire surface must be wiped with a rubber eraser to remove the greasy layer. Shoes are thoroughly dried before painting. To preserve the effect of paint for longer, a protective agent is applied after staining,
- Impregnation. Impregnation is recommended after every shoe shine. It protects the fabric from the adhering of dirt and dust, also repels moisture well. When using high-quality impregnation, you can return the material velvet, softness and elasticity. These products are sold in stores in liquid form or in the form of an aerosol. Aerosol allows you to make the impregnation more uniform and in the required quantity. It is advisable to use such a tool immediately after purchasing shoes in a store.
The main thing when painting nubuck material is to observe the required distance of the spray can from the shoe. Do not spray paint too close. This makes the color unnatural.
A suitable shade should be chosen very carefully. Using inaccurate colors will make the surface uneven.
Keep nubuck shoes in a clean and dry place - this is the best that a person can do for his shoes. Buy several pairs of insoles that can be changed in turn. If a man suffers from sweaty legs, then high-quality socks should be used. An additional protection for the boots will be deodorants, which can not only remove the smell and refresh the shoes, but also prevent the growth of fungal microbes.
How to remove stains of grease, dirt, paint and salt stains?
There are folk methods for eliminating greasy, dust contaminants from shoes made of suede and nubuck. Fine salt copes with fine areas on black shoes, and talc or starch is used to treat light pairs. Bulk material should be applied to the surface, which must then be brushed.
It is more difficult to remove traces of paint from nubuck shoes. In this case, it is better to use a brush with metal bristles or a solvent for cleaning. It is important to understand that the latter option is fraught with the appearance on the surface of places devoid of paint. It is desirable to eliminate salt stains with shampoo or cleansing foam. Other methods in comparison with this are ineffective.
What should I do if there are scratches on the surface or she is shiny?
The express method for eliminating minor damage (scratches or cracks) is an eraser. This universal remedy does not harm shoes if used correctly. Only damaged areas should be treated, stains to be washed, moving against the direction of the pile. It is important that the eraser does not have traces of old paint that could ruin a light nubuck.
What can not be done with nubuck products?
When buying shoes from nubuck, it is important to remember that products made of this material will not forgive careless handling. Such shoes should be protected from moisture, try not to wear in rainy weather, in winter, wearing it is advisable only at sub-zero temperatures. If the steam is still wet, it must be dried at a certain distance from the radiators. Otherwise, its surface may become deformed, become covered with cracks, and the sole may peel off.
For the same reason, shoes cannot be washed. Some even think that such shoes can be washed in a washing machine. Products quickly absorb water, and even after drying they will look unpresentable - the surface may crack, warp, and stains from dirt and salt will appear on it.
Basic care rules
Nubuck products, like artificial leather items, are strictly forbidden to be washed in a typewriter. To wash shoes, as well as wardrobe items made of this material (for example, a jacket), you need to follow a whole algorithm of actions.
To take care of nubuck shoes in the winter and in the rest of the year correctly, you must follow certain rules and recommendations. They are kept in dry cleaners. The key ones are the following:
- Shoes and boots should be dried only after they have completely dried out.
- Do not wash shoes under running tap water.
- Synthetic products and stain removers should only be used after thorough cleaning with a dry brush.
- For care, only specialized products and shampoos created specifically for this material are used.
- Shoes must not be dried near a central heating battery or electric heaters. This will make the material coarser.
- Cleaning agent must not be applied directly to the surface of boots and boots. It is better to use an ordinary sponge, on which you need to squeeze a small amount of the product.
After wet cleaning, the shoes should be dried and then combed with a dry brush. This will give the pile the right direction. For a successful result, fixing procedures are carried out, consisting in applying a special impregnation to protect against moisture. Today on sale you can find specialized kits designed specifically to maintain an attractive look nubuck.
High-quality care for shoes made of nubuck at home is possible, if you take maximum care. Using special aerosols, you should adhere to safety rules. All work should be done in rooms with good ventilation. When applying spraying compounds, it is necessary to consider the distance to the wallpaper and furniture.
Aerosol is a volatile compound that can be carried by air currents to any home decoration. If a can of a particular company was used, the next time it is advisable to buy products of the same brand. On the packaging with impregnation there is an instruction recommending to apply to process new products from nubuck three times. Each subsequent layer is applied after the previous one has dried.
You can brush nubuck shoes at home with a brush. Regarding the choice of model, there are several options. Three- and four-sided products are distinguished. There are brushes with metal and synthetic bristles highlighted by a rib.
Sometimes there are situations when you need to give your shoes a fresh and attractive look quickly. In such cases, you can resort to the express method. Today they produce liquid cream paint with water-repellent properties. It provides quick surface updates. You can use it to mask worn places and paint scratches. Such materials are not reflected in any way on the structure of the material. Caring formulations can be distributed evenly using the applicator.
When caring for nubuck, you can use folk tips. Most often, there are recommendations for the use of coffee grounds for brown shoes. For black boots and boots, it is recommended to use carbon paper. This approach seems unusual, but it has one important advantage. The described methods do not involve the use of any chemicals that can trigger an allergy.
There is also a tip in the category of folk recipes, according to which it is recommended to keep shoes over steam before the main treatment. There is an opinion that cleaning after this becomes more effective. But to keep shoes from nubuck in a plastic bag is by no means impossible. If the owner of the boot or boot drives the car, then to prevent deformation and the appearance of traces of dirt, he is recommended to use the so-called auto-heel.
Nubuck shoes must be kept in well-ventilated boxes. Between the boots should be enough space, that is, they should not be located close to each other. But before you send the pair for storage, you should treat it with a protective layer of a specialized tool.
It is recommended to clean nubuck shoes in the mornings and evenings every day. Universal remedies can be used only as a last resort, since they do not provide the desired effect. Some are even able to spoil the appearance of products. The list of care products must include impregnation. It is sold in the form of a spray gun. It is applied at the very end of the cleaning. In addition, so that your favorite pair of boots or shoes always looks great, you must always be prepared:
- foam cleanser
- spray paint for nubuck,
- an eraser that is used to remove visible dirt,
- nubuck brush
- deodorant for shoes, which will get rid of the unpleasant odor inside the product.
All of these funds can be purchased in kit or separately. They are sold in shoe stores. Kits in kits may include antibacterial deodorants and sprays, protective elements that prevent the insole from moving inside the shoe, and stain socks. Various brushes are sold, but it is better to take products with a good pile. All funds purchased must be specifically designed for nubuck shoes.
Immediately after returning home, remove traces of dust and dirt, as well as chewing gum from the sole. Water should not get on the surface of the shoes, so care should be taken in actions. Then the shoes are dried. It is good to use special equipment for this. If not, you can stuff your shoes tight with old newspapers.
The eraser will help to remove spots of dust and dirt in the form of dots. But sometimes he is powerless against pollution. This means that you need to use shampoos that differ in a more intense effect. Such a composition removes pollution, white deposits, salt stains. Nubuck shoes should be washed in a special solution, which consists of two parts of warm water and 1 part of shampoo. Sponge is impregnated in this mixture and the surface is treated. Its residues must be removed with a soft cloth, which is moistened in advance in water and squeezed out well.
Before proceeding to the next processing step, wait for the shoes to dry. If it has become faded, its color can be refreshed with the help of the paint of their spray can. To ensure that all decorative elements are protected, use tape. With its help, glue shoelaces, trinkets, buttons. At the end, a shoe is impregnated with a water-repellent spray.
In addition to professional tools for the care of nubuck products, you can use proven methods at home. They will not harm the shoes, but will make them more well-groomed and clean. On the other hand, folk remedies are not suitable for coloring nubuck shoes. For this purpose, only special cosmetics are applicable. It is moisture proof.
To wash off traces of grease and dirt, you can dry your shoes, and then hold a rubber brush over it. Next, prepare a solution of 200 ml of water and 150 ml of ammonia. The latter can be replaced with table vinegar.In this case, you only need a teaspoon per liter of water. Soft tissue is moistened in a solution, after which all visible traces of dirt are wiped. It is treated with a sponge, spray paint is sprayed onto the surface of the shoe.
If you take care of shoes made of nubuck correctly, you can save time and money on dry cleaning. The main thing to remember is that caring procedures should be regular. A.
To improve the water-repellent properties of natural nubuck, it is impregnated with animal fats, so get nubuck-oil. To the touch and in appearance, this material is different from the usual velvety, it is somewhat moist. Impregnation makes nubuck oil more wear-resistant, and shoes made of it are durable.
Nubuck shoes should not be washed under running water. To eliminate pollution, professional tools will come to the rescue. Special shampoos form a thick foam that is applied to the material and gently cleans it of dirt and dust. Instead of shampoo, you can use purchased special cleaning milk, balm, cleansing foam, or prepare the foam yourself by stirring a solution of water and laundry soap.
To restore the shade and refresh nubuck boots will help paint, which is applied to cleaned and dried shoes. Typically, this tool is available in the form of aerosols, which are easy and convenient to spray on the processed material. In addition to color alignment, the coloring composition allows you to hide minor defects and damage.
In a shoe store, you can pick up a product that is as close as possible to the original shade.
The specificity of the velvety material is that dust and dirt clog between the villi and it is impossible to just brush them off with a cloth. That is why to care for shoes made of nubuck, you need to purchase special brushes. It is convenient to take a two-sided combined tool with surfaces made of hard synthetic pile, metal bristles, rubber teeth, an additional protrusion for cleaning seams, joints and other hard-to-reach areas.
It is impossible to imagine the answer to the question of how to care for natural nubuck, without recommendations on the proper storage of shoes. If you want to maintain the appearance of the product and simplify the care of moccasins or boots, you need to prepare a pair according to certain rules:
- Send your shoes to storage immediately after the end of the season, do not wait a few months,
- Each shoe is put in a separate cloth bag, together they fall into a cardboard box,
- Refuse to use polyethylene - you risk creating high humidity, which will contribute to the appearance of mold and rot,
- Each pair is thoroughly cleaned with special means and completely dried,
- Crumpled newspapers, papers or specialized struts can be used to maintain the shape of the shoe.
- If you need to know how to wash sneakers in a typewriter, then the rules are here.
Compliance with several simplest care recommendations guarantees the safety of your favorite pair of nubuck shoes - shoes, sneakers or shoes will delight you more than one season!
Now you know how to care for a nubuck - give your shoes a chance for a long life, enjoy everyday shoes and get the most out of the beauty and comfort of products! Read on how to clean light suede shoes.
Special stain eraser
A special eraser made of rubber and abrasive will help to remove dust, dirt, mask small scratches on a nubuck. The principle of operation is as follows: during friction, the smallest particles are separated from the eraser. They penetrate deep into the material and collect dirt particles that have accumulated at the base of the villi. The abrasive is dusted with a brush.
Impregnation protects nubuck shoes from dampness and precipitation, forming a thin water-repellent film on the surface. Composition based on silicone, wax and fluorocarbon resins is applied in advance to cleaned and dried boots and left to dry completely. Modern impregnations not only prevent the appearance of spots from salt, snow and water, but also restore color and soften the material.
Collonil manufactures shoe care products and equipment. When buying a pair of nubuck, you need to pay attention to universal sprays for pile types of leathers, cleaning foams, shampoos and other products from this manufacturer. Collonil shoe cosmetics made using modern technologies will provide full care for nubuck.
Spray All Combi from the German company Salamander is a universal tool for intensive care of products from all types of leather, including nubuck. Provides not only moisture protection, but also color refreshment. Before use, the metal cylinder is shaken, after which the spray is sprayed onto the cleaned dried surface from a distance of 15-20 centimeters.
Products of the French brand Saphir, widely known for its technical innovations and quality, are exported to more than 45 countries. In the line of nubuck products, you can choose options for basic care, as well as for solving specific problems, for example, to restore the surface, protect against getting wet and reagents.
Among KIWI products for nubuck, you can choose tools for cleaning, protecting from snow, rain and dirt, restoring color, as well as multi-function brushes. The line belongs to the middle price category.
Under the trademark "Barcode" from the Russian company Glantsmaster LLC, a wide range of creams, sponges and paints is produced, which allows us to solve all the tasks of protection, comfort, basic and express care of shoes, significantly extending its service life. For the production of "STRIH" products, only high-quality raw materials imported from the Czech Republic, Poland, Spain, Latvia, Switzerland, the USA and Germany are used. The company's products are manufactured in accordance with all environmental standards.
You can freshen and clean the material with ammonia. The liquid is diluted in water in a ratio of 1 to 4, moistened with a cotton pad and gently wipe the surface. Beforehand, the nubuck must be brushed off from the dust with a brush, otherwise there is a risk instead of cleaning only to smear the dirt.
Salt does a good job of greasy stains, but can leave streaks, so use it very carefully. The powder is poured on the contamination and left for several hours, during which the fat is absorbed into the salt. After processing, the product is carefully removed, in no case rubbing.
Chalk in crushed form is used to eliminate oil stains. They are sprinkled with pollution, left for a while, then brushed away. Talc and potato starch are used in a similar manner.
To remove stains, prepare a solution from one tablespoon of vinegar, diluted in a liter of water. The mixture is wetted with a cloth or cotton pad and treated with dirt.
If the shade of the model is dark brown or black, you can remove dirt and refresh the color with coffee grounds. The product is applied to the problem area, left to act for 5 minutes, and then removed with a damp cloth.
Organic solvents such as kerosene, gasoline, ammonia, alcohol or turpentine will help clean nubuck from oil pollution. Before removing the stain, the product must be tested on an inconspicuous area. For the treatment of nubuck, do not use the solvent in its pure form, but dilute it strongly with water.
The cotton pad is moistened in the solution, with a light circular motion wipe the stain in the direction from the edges to the center and leave it to act for a short time. After removing the dirt, wipe the surface with a damp cloth.
Dry cleaning should be arranged every evening. It cleans the shoes from dust and a small amount of dried dirt. Usually it is used for evening shoes, office shoes and sneakers for sports. And also can be used for shoes that are worn in the summer.
Even if the weather was completely dry, the shoes still need to dry out a bit before cleaning. You can start the cleaning process two hours after coming from the street.
Using a damp cloth, dirt is removed from the heel and sole. This must be done carefully so as not to wet the material. To clean the nubuck fabric, you will need a special brush that has a rubber coating on one side and a metal pile on the other. The rubber side cleans the material with light movements. After that, the nubuck is combed using the metal side.
A regular stationery eraser copes well with dust.
This cleaning method is carried out using special tools that are designed to remove various stains.
In stores you can find shampoos, foams and other products aimed at cleansing nubuck tissue. When using these substances, it is worth following the instructions in the instructions.
Sometimes a situation may arise that there was no special tool at hand, and shoes need to be cleaned. In this case, you can use the means at hand:
- Ammonia. This substance allows you to cope with white spots that are formed due to contact with reagents. Most often, salt stains occur in the spring, when they begin to actively use sprinkles for sidewalks. For cleaning, ammonia is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 4. In the resulting solution, the sponge is wetted and the contaminated places gently stretch to it. After cleaning, the shoes are allowed to dry and kept over steam to straighten the pile. After the procedure, you can apply the appropriate paint and impregnation. Fresh stains are well removed with a simple damp cloth. The main thing is not to press hard so that the material is not wet,
- Vinegar. Vinegar works well with stains from salt and dirt. It will take 1 teaspoon of the product and 1 liter of cool water. Everything is mixed, and a cotton pad is wetted in the solution. A dirty place is thoroughly cleaned. After that, the shoes are dried, and the pile is combed,
- Salt. This product removes greasy stains. Pollution wakes up with a pinch of salt. Using a sponge, with light movements, the product is rubbed into the stain. During the cleaning process, salt should be changed several times. After processing, all residues are removed with a damp cloth and the product is left to dry completely. If the nubuck shoes are white, then you can use chalk or talc,
- Stale bread. Simple specks can be easily removed with a crust of bread. The crust acts as a brush. Therefore, the bread should be dry and stale,
- Solvents. Stains left with vegetable oil can be removed with organic solvents. These include: gasoline, alcohol, kerosene, turpentine and ammonia. The selected substance is tested on a small area of tissue to check its interaction with the material. For purification, a weakly concentrated solution is prepared. A cotton swab is wetted in the selected solution. The spot is processed in slight circular motions. The product is left on the contamination for a while and then cleaned with a damp cloth,
- Coffee grounds. This method is only suitable for dark products. The coffee grounds are rubbed into a contaminated area and left for five minutes. Using a sponge, dirt is removed. All residues are washed with a damp cloth. This method allows not only to get rid of spots, but also able to paint shabby areas.
How to restore nubuck shoes at home
To return the shoe to its original form, one should stock up on all the nubuck care products. If the product needs a small restoration, then the following procedure is performed:
- All stains and dirt are removed from the surface with a special detergent,
- Then the material is treated with a hard brush or eraser,
- After this shoe is allowed to dry under natural conditions,
- The dried material is treated with a rubberized brush,
- At the end of the restoration, the shoes are soaked in a water-repellent spray.
If simple procedures no longer help to restore a beautiful appearance, then you can use the hot steam method.
To do this, shoes should be hung above a container in which water boils. The product is kept above the steam until slightly moistened. Strong wetting must not be allowed. Once the shoes have cooled, they must be combed with a stiff brush. Finally, the material is treated with suitable paint.
If grated places have appeared, then they are lightly blinded with a metal brush or knife. In this way, shoes with large scuffs can be restored. Using a brush, the entire surface is “scratched” to obtain uniformity.
How to stretch nubuck shoes at home
Sometimes new shoes strongly squeeze the foot, and after a few hours, the legs become very tired and sore. There are three ways to stretch nubuck shoes:
- A special tool for stretching this shoe is purchased in the store. Aerosol is best used. It is applied to the entire inner surface. After that, warm socks and processed shoes are put on. It is advisable to do so until the agent has completely dried out, but if your legs become sick and tired, then you should not torture yourself. The procedure can be repeated several times,
- A bag without holes is being prepared. It is placed in shoes, and the bag is filled with water to the edges of the product. In this form, the shoes are placed in the freezer. During freezing, water will begin to expand, and shoes will stretch under its pressure,
- A small amount of hot water is poured into the shoes. Woolen socks are put on the legs, and then a nubuck product is worn. This should be done until the shoes have completely cooled down.
Nubuck fabric, like any natural material, lends itself well to various deformations. Therefore, it’s very easy to shape your footwear.
How to store nubuck shoes
As soon as the nubuck shoe wear season is over, it should be prepared for storage. If the following simple rules are followed, the product can be saved until the next season in excellent condition:
- at first the shoes dry well
- then all damage, stains,
- need to remove worn insoles,
- treat the shoes with a softening agent,
- inside the shoes are disinfected with an antiseptic. This avoids mold during storage,
- shoes should be stored in a tightly closed box, but they should be free and ventilated,
- Shoes need to be viewed sometimes. If the material is dried, then it should be smeared with a softening substance. After this, the product must be dried and laid back.
Caring for nubuck shoes requires a lot of time and special tools. But products made from such material look beautiful and stylish. Therefore, do not regret the time spent on leaving, because it's worth it!
When caring for nubuck shoes, you need to keep in mind the following points:
- Boots or shoes should be cleaned daily.
- Only dry material should be cleaned; wet can deteriorate.
- Dry the nubuck boots away from batteries and other heating appliances.
- When cleaning the surface with a brush, the treatment must be carried out in one direction - against the pile. Do not drive the tool back and forth or make circular movements.
- Care is best done with specialized tools and equipment.
In extreme cases
The appearance of contaminated nubuck can be improved by treating the surface with a solution of water and a small amount of ammonia. A cotton swab dipped in the product must be wiped gently.
You can get rid of heavy pollution and restore the presentability of nubuck shoes by holding them above the steam. After the procedure, the hair is brushed with a brush with metal bristles.
Removing Special Stains
If the origin of the pollution is known, then it’s easier to choose a tool that will cope with it. It is best to use professional shoe care products for deep cleansing and removing stains, but in its absence, you can resort to using folk methods of dealing with different types of pollution.
In winter, white stains form on boots or boots due to reagents used against icy conditions. The most difficult to remove such stains from fleecy shoes. To eliminate stubborn salt pollution, it is best to use professional cleaners, but there are also several time-tested folk remedies:
- The most famous way is to remove white spots with a solution of vinegar, which is prepared by adding a tablespoon of water to a glass of water.
- A mixture of a teaspoon of baking soda and half a glass of milk will help get rid of salt impurities, in which a few drops of ammonia can be added to be effective. The product is applied with a soft cloth, then removed with a cotton pad moistened with clean water.
- White stains are removed with tooth powder, which is distributed in a thin layer and removed together with the absorbed salt.
- Reagent stained shoes are cleaned with steam. To do this, you can use a steam generator or hold it over boiling water. The salt that emerged during the treatment is removed with a polyurethane brush.
Grease stains are removed with absorbents such as potato starch, baby powder, talc, soda and salt. Oily contamination is covered with an even layer of powder for several hours, after which it is brushed off. If necessary, the procedure is repeated several times.
Regardless of the time of year, nubuck shoes must be dried after each walk, cleaned of dust and dirt, treated with protective equipment. Dry away from heaters.
In summer, more dust accumulates on the fleecy surface, which must be brushed off after returning from the street. The sole is wiped with a damp cloth. The inner surface is treated with an antibacterial agent.
In winter, the biggest problem is stains that remain on the boots from chemicals applied to the road surface. They must be removed using improvised means or professional stain removers. Shoes should be regularly treated with protective sprays and impregnations well in advance of going outside. When entering a warm room or transport, you must immediately brush off the snow so that it, when melted, does not damage the material.
Off-season - a period of frequent rainfall. During heavy rains or in case of slush, it is better to abandon nubuck shoes, preferring leather or rubber. If you still had to “walk” a couple in wet weather, you need to clean the sole from dirt with a damp cloth, and dry the shoes themselves thoroughly. Particular attention is paid to water repellent treatment, which is carried out in advance, best of all in the evening.
Purchased stretchers, which are usually available in spray cans, are sprayed inside the boot to problem areas. After that, the pair is put on and worn for several hours, during which the shoes take the form of a foot. If necessary, repeat the procedure until a positive result is achieved.
Package without holes
When stretched by this method, the property of water to expand upon freezing is used. A dense plastic bag is placed in the boot, filled with water and tied, it is important that there are no holes and the water does not spill directly into the shoe. The design is placed in the freezer, where the liquid turns into ice, increases in volume and stretches the boot.