Checking the prostate in men through the rectum
Prostatitis is a serious male disease that, if untreated, leads to complications such as:
- severe mental disorders
- the appearance of malignant neoplasms.
It is necessary to regularly check the prostate and monitor the condition of the genitourinary system. It is this aspect of preserving male health that we will consider in the article. You will learn:
- who needs to see a urologist for preventive purposes,
- what symptoms indicate the need to get an appointment with a specialist as soon as possible,
- what questions will the doctor ask
- how specialists check the prostate in men for inflammation,
- what diagnostic methods are used,
- Do I need to prepare for an initial appointment with a urologist,
- how to diagnose the prostate yourself at home.
In which cases you need to check the prostate
Visiting urologists for examinations of the prostate gland for prophylactic purposes is recommended for all men over 40 years of age. It is advisable to do this once a year. Prophylactic examinations of the prostate are often recommended for patients of the following groups.
- Men over 50 years old.
- People suffering from obesity.
- Patients whose relatives (fathers, brothers and sons) were diagnosed with urological diseases.
- Men who have had diseases of the genitourinary system.
In addition, it is necessary to undergo prostate examinations more often when taking medications that have a negative effect on the functioning of the pelvic organs.
In the shortest possible time, an examination of the prostate should be performed if symptoms of glandular inflammation are detected.
- Increased urge to urinate (especially at night).
- Difficulty emptying the bladder.
- Pain during urination.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- Painful ejaculation.
- Foreign discharge from the urethra.
- Weakness and general malaise.
Initial examination of the prostate at the appointment with a urologist
Diagnosis of prostate diseases in men begins with a medical history. Here is a sample list of questions a doctor will ask.
- How long have the symptoms appeared?
- Are there any pains, and where are they localized?
- How difficult is urination?
- Are there any problems with potency?
- Where do you work?
- What sex life do you lead?
- Were there any problems with the genitourinary system?
- Are there any previous diseases?
- What lifestyle do you lead?
All this is necessary to build a preliminary clinical picture. Therefore, do not distort the information and respond as detailed as possible.
The next stage in the diagnosis of the genitourinary system is a digital rectal examination of the prostate. It goes like this.
- The doctor washes his hands, puts on gloves and lubricates the index finger with medical gel lubricant.
- The doctor will ask you to lie on the couch and take a knee-elbow pose or turn on your side.
- A specialist inserts a finger into the rectum and feels the prostate for abnormalities.
- A small amount of prostate secretion is taken for laboratory testing.
In normal condition, everything looks like this.
- The size of the prostate is 27–43 mm.
- The volume of the gland is 19.6-23 cm 3.
- There are no seals.
- Prostate secretion secreted by palpation has no odors.
- The body is moderately dense.
- Lobules of the gland have the same size.
- The contours are clear.
- Mobility is present.
If abnormalities are found, the doctor will give you directions for conducting basic diagnostic procedures to accurately identify the etiology, form and stage of the disease.
Important! You need to prepare for the initial visit to the urologist.
- Give up sex and masturbation the day before your appointment.
- On the eve of the inspection, make a cleansing enema.
Prostate Secret Examination
Diagnosis of the prostate involves the study of its secret in the laboratory under a microscope. The study determines:
- the nature of microflora,
- the number of lecithin grains,
- white blood cell count.
An increased number of the latter indicates inflammation. If bacteria are secret, the disease has an infectious nature.
About preparation for taking the secret of the prostate for examination at the initial appointment with a urologist, we described above.
Consider the symptoms of prostate dysfunction:
- Urination problems: frequent nightly urges, weak urine flow, a feeling of insufficient emptying of the bladder after urination, lack of complete control of urine flow.
Each degree and type of prostate disease is characterized by a different severity of symptoms. In the initial stages of the disease, symptoms may be absent, and in the extremely acute - be pronounced.
May increase body temperature in the range 39-40 degrees, an abscess of the prostate gland forms, after which hospitalization is necessary.
The above symptoms may occur with the possible appearance of the following diseases:
How to check the prostate? The main method for examining the prostate is considered digital prostate examination (AT). This procedure is performed with an empty bladder and does not require special preparation of the patient.
At the beginning of the prostate examination, the doctor examines the anus to detect possible changes that may cause prostate diseases.
Exist four positions for examination of the prostate gland:
- Standing Angled Forward 90 degrees with elbows on the table.
The patient needs to explain the purpose of a digital examination of the prostate to exclude a negative reaction and tension.
Inspection of the prostate by a urologist:
Wearing sterile gloves, the doctor applies petroleum jelly on the index finger of the right hand. Then the doctor pushes the patient’s buttocks with his left hand and carefully inserts it into the anus.
For diagnostics glands, the doctor massages, stroking the lobes of the gland in the direction from the sides to the center. If it is necessary to obtain a secret from the prostatic glands, the doctor squeezes it into the urethra, ending with a sliding massage along the interlobar groove.
It is most convenient to get a secret in the knee-elbow position and on the right side.
There is also a two-handed finger examination of the prostate in the supine position, effective for examining the size of the prostate.
To do this, it is necessary to press the fingers of the left hand on the abdominal wall slightly higher than the lenal joint towards the prostate, and the thickness of the right hand inserted through the anus to determine the thickness, width, length, shape, texture and location of the prostate.
Survey prostate through the rectum is quite simple and informative, but if necessary, the doctor prescribes additional tests to confirm the diagnosis:
- Analysis blood It is prescribed to determine the level of white blood cells in the blood, the speed of their sedimentation. This is necessary to determine the presence or absence of inflammation in the body.
- Analysis urine using catheters in the extreme stages of prostatitis shows the presence of purulent filaments.
- Analysis a secret the prostate allows you to determine the nature and stage of the inflammatory process and is carried out only with the absolute exception of the acute form of prostatitis. They take it by interrectal stimulation of the gland, as a result of which a secret is released from the urethra, which is examined under a microscope on a special glass.
- Analysis seminal fluid is the most informative, as it allows you to determine the number and condition of leukocytes, the presence of red blood cells, dead sperm.
Other tests may be performed to detect secondary pathology.
Palpation of the prostate is enough to determine the physical condition of the prostate.
What should be the prostate to the touch?
Normally, the prostate gland has a rounded shape.
It consists of two approximately equal shares, which are separated by a well-grooved groove. Across the prostate is from 2.7 to 5 cm, longitudinal length - from 2.7 to 4.2 cm.
Palpation of the prostate without deviations should not cause pain. The contours of the prostate are clear, the texture is tight and elastic, the surface is smooth. Iron itself is slightly mobile.
At various forms of prostatitis physical characteristics of the gland differ from the norm.
Timely examination of the prostate gland helps to prevent, detect and stop its inflammation of the gland.
Reasons for the inspection
If any disturbances in the work of the intestine appear, you must immediately visit the proctologist's office. This also applies to suspicious symptoms concerning the lower abdomen, intestines and anus. If you have complaints about problems with the work of these organs, you should visit the clinic for a diagnostic examination.
The proctologist is most often treated with the following complaints:
- regular false urge to go to the toilet,
- frequent constipation
- flatulence or a feeling of tension in the abdominal cavity,
- purulent, mucous or bloody discharge from the anus,
- pain in the anus,
- constant feeling of incomplete bowel release.
A digital examination of the rectum is performed in cases where the patient complains to doctors about recurrent abdominal pain, especially during bowel movements, and also it always precedes an instrumental rectal examination. And also the method is appropriate in the following cases:
- the presence of symptoms of hemorrhoids and related ailments,
- disruption of the prostate gland in men,
- diseases of the internal genital organs in women,
- constipation and other stool problems.
So, a detailed examination will help to recognize the condition of the intestinal mucosa, determine the tone of the anal canal, which will affect the further study of the patient's body. The doctor will record important information - the presence or absence of hemorrhoidal nodes, tumors and polyps, cracks, inflammatory elements.
The described method also allows you to diagnose an enlargement of the prostate gland in men and pathology of the internal genital organs in women.
Examination of the rectum with a finger occupies a separate place in gynecology. It is an addition to the vaginal examination to establish the nature of the tumor process, check the condition of the sacro-uterine ligaments, and such an examination is also indispensable during observations of women who have given birth.
A rectal examination provides enough information about the degree of cervical opening, the position of the fetus, the location of the sutures, so do not underestimate it. This method of organ research is contraindicated in case of severe sphincter spasms, narrowing of the anal canal, pain in the anus.
Finger research, the technique of which depends on the patient's complaints, is an integral part of the proctologist's appointment.During the examination, a person must first push, and then relax as much as possible so that the specialist can examine the organ.
In some cases, the method is used in the practice of gynecologists, but more often it helps to recognize the symptoms of a dangerous ailment - hemorrhoids.
Sometimes palpation reveals dense nodes of the venous plexus, enlarged and painful. This symptom indicates the presence of thrombosis. Edematous elements are sealed, but when examined, they are easily displaced, which indicates the presence of an inflammatory process. Using a simple and informative method for determining diseases, it is easy to prevent the development of complications and start treatment on time.
Which doctor tests the prostate?
All diseases related to the prostate are treated by a urologist. But before you go to see this specialist, you need to take a referral from a general practitioner / family doctor. This doctor will collect an anamnesis, if necessary, give a direction for passing general tests, and at the same time write a direction for a consultation with a urologist. Also, the andrologist is involved in diseases of the male reproductive system. This specialist can be referred if prostate problems have caused erectile dysfunction, impotence, and sexual disorders.
According to the World Health Organization, prostate cancer affects one in seven men. The appearance of suspicion of such an ailment is detected during the study of the prostate.
Digital rectal examination, although it is not a visualization method, but refers to a physical examination, but due to its simplicity, cheapness and safety, remains an integral method of examining patients with risk factors for prostate problems. During a digital examination, you can detect foci with a volume of more than 0.2 ml, the localization of cancer, etc.
Rectal examination of the prostate has low prognostic value. This method cannot be considered sufficient for early diagnosis of prostate cancer, therefore, its data should be evaluated in conjunction with the data of TRUS (transrectal ultrasound), MRI, biopsy and other research methods.
Checking the prostate in men through the rectum
Prostate - an unpaired male genital organ, which, by producing special hormones, dilutes seminal fluid, protects and nourishes sperm.
He is called the "second heart of a man", which is responsible for the reproductive system, sexual activity. Location glands also affects the health of the urinary system.
In article mi we will talk about research prostate in men.
In order for the doctor to conduct a qualitative study, the patient must:
- The day before the consultation and reception, refrain from having sex, as well as oral sex and masturbation,
- On the eve to make a cleansing enema to achieve reliable diagnostic results. Enema can be done using Esmarch’s mug, pouring ordinary boiled cool water into it or chilled chamomile broth.
At the appointment with a specialist, the patient must prepare the necessary documents: passport, medical policy, medical card, results of previous tests of the prostate gland (if any). You also need to remember what complaints were observed in the patient, if necessary, write them on a piece of paper to voice to the doctor.
The paramount task is the selection of the patient's posture. As a rule, it is knee-elbow. If the patient’s condition is severe, it is more convenient to conduct a digital examination of the rectum when he is lying on his side, while the legs are bent and most drawn to the stomach. Another option - the patient is laid on his back and spreads his legs to the sides, slightly raising them in his knees. Inspection is carried out after a bowel movement or cleansing enema (which is preferable).
The algorithm of the digital study of the rectum includes the following actions:
- The patient takes the most appropriate posture, corresponding to his general condition.
The doctor washes his hands and puts on disposable rubber gloves.
An external examination of the anus and perineum is preliminarily performed.
This is important for detecting cracks, fistulas, hemorrhoids, papillomas and various tumors.
With a pronounced pain syndrome, the anus is treated with an anesthetic, and turunda soaked in it is injected inside.
The doctor abundantly lubricates the index finger with Vaseline and carefully, in circular motions, introduces it into the rectum. At this time, the tone of the sphincter is determined
The norm is considered if it fits snugly on the finger. After the introduction, a diagnosis is made of the mucous membrane and adjacent organs - the uterus in women and the prostate in men. If any neoplasms are detected, their exact location, shape, size, density, surface character, etc. are determined. To palpate the areas located above, the doctor asks the patient to squat down and strain (as in the urge to defecate).
The finger is removed from the intestine. The doctor carefully examines the glove, examining the traces of feces. Impurities (if any) are carefully examined: mucous and purulent discharge, blood.
A digital examination of the rectum is absolutely safe and does not cause complications. After completing the procedure, the patient calmly sets off for his business.
Finger rectal examination is recognized by doctors as the simplest and most reliable diagnostic method. With its help, many pathological processes are identified, and the possibility of an examination using instrumental methods is also assessed.
Finger examination in proctology
What is a rectal examination? A rectal examination is a palpation of the rectum with the fingers of a specialist.
This method makes it possible to detect pathologies and various problems in the patient:
- assess the condition of the rectal mucosa,
- evaluate the work of the sphincter,
- determine the presence of pathologies in the anus,
- to probe for possible tumors, polyps, various inflammations,
- you can feel the narrowing of the channel,
- the presence of a cyst
- you can evaluate the functioning of the reproductive system,
- determine the presence of foreign bodies,
- detect internal hemorrhoid cones,
- anal fissures
- any inflammatory foci,
- enlarged prostate gland in men
- different changes in the female genital organs.
Digital rectal examination is the best way to diagnose.
Most devices cannot penetrate all inaccessible places and do not fully examine the intestines. Only a doctor, by palpating, will give a 100% answer.
In 80% of cases, small bowel cancer is detected by palpation of the anus.
The doctor conducts this procedure, based on the following complaints and symptoms:
- the patient complains of periodic, frequent pain in the lower abdomen,
- a person suffers from constipation, diarrhea,
- intestinal function is disturbed,
- pelvic tissue inflammation - paraproctitis,
- in order to diagnose a disease,
- with inflammation of the prostate gland in men,
- various diseases, inflammations, the presence or possibility of tumors of the female organs that carry a reproductive function,
- pathology of the tailbone,
- discharge from the anus.
Palpation of the rectum is carried out:
- lying on one side, legs bent at the knees and pressed to the stomach,
- knee-elbow position. The patient is on his elbows and knees,
- on a gynecological chair, legs bent at the knees and hands pressed to the stomach,
- lying on your back. The legs are bent at the knees, and set apart in different directions,
- squatting if you need to feel the upper sections of the rectum.
The doctor determines the pose himself, depending on suspicions, presumptive diagnoses, concomitant diseases and complaints of the patient.
Before starting the examination, the doctor should examine the anus and make sure that there are no cracks, hemorrhoids, inflammatory processes, redness, any pathological discharge, abscesses.
Intestinal CT or colonoscopy, which is better - comparison
Types of ultrasound examination of the prostate
Ultrasound of the prostate in men can be carried out in several ways, different in its conduct and giving the opportunity to consider the organ from the perspective required by the doctor to make a diagnosis. The choice of method is affected by the symptoms and health status of the subject.
So, the doctor can choose one of the following options for ultrasound examination:
- transabdominal - performed through the surface of the abdominal wall,
- transrectal - is examined by introducing a sensor into the rectum,
- scrotal-rectal - produced through the perineum,
- transurethral - access occurs through the urethra.
The first two methods are the most common, and the first because of the simplicity of the conduct, which is why men agree more quickly and easily. And the second one is due to greater information content, therefore, experts often resort to it and, making every effort, persuade their patients to undergo diagnosis in this way.
Under what circumstances is it necessary to check the prostate gland?
Before you check the prostate in men, you should know that at the initial stage of the development of many diseases, pain does not cause discomfort, the disease develops asymptomatically. At home, it is impossible to diagnose the disease, therefore it is important to consult a doctor if the general health condition worsens and there is discomfort in the process of emptying the bladder. It is mandatory to visit a doctor if the following symptoms occur:
- regular attacks of weakness
- blood pressure problems
- the lymph nodes are inflamed
- urethral discharge
- redness appeared on the skin,
- urine color has changed
- systematic discomfort during intercourse,
- there are bloody discharge in the urine,
- pain when urinating,
- after going to the toilet there is a feeling of incomplete emptying,
- discomfort in the groin.
If one of the symptoms appears, it is important to immediately carry out laboratory and instrumental studies. Based on the diagnostic results obtained, the doctor will prescribe effective drugs that will help eliminate unpleasant symptoms.
In order to get an informative picture of the condition of the prostate, the patient is recommended to follow a certain diet for several days (at least three), which helps to reduce gas formation in the intestine. Since the accumulation of gas in the loops of the intestine adjacent to the gland, the diagnostician can take for neoplasms of a different nature.
Therefore, you should exclude from your diet bakery products, sweets, raw vegetables and fruits, legumes, fatty types of fish and meat, smoked meats, sparkling water and drinks, as well as alcohol. In addition, you can use medicines that relieve flatulence - Espumisan, Smecta, Mezim, White coal.
The second part of the preparation for the examination is that the patient should come to the procedure with a full bladder, but preferably without sharp urge to urinate.
The prostate gland is located at the site of the transition of the bladder into the urethra, and if you do not create a space filled with fluid, it will be difficult to visualize.
The bubble at the time of the examination should be moderately filled, that is, do not disturb the subject with pronounced urges to empty. To do this, you need to drink at least one liter of liquid an hour before the ultrasound. It is important to track the moment of sufficient filling, otherwise if there is a lack of fluid in the bladder, you will have to suspend the procedure and wait for a while until more urine is formed.
But no less important point is excessive filling, which for the patient can cause pain when pressing on the abdominal wall with a sensor and, of course, a rather strong desire to empty the bubble. In this case, it is allowed to get rid of part of the urine, and at the same time drink some more liquid so that the kidneys are filtered and provide its necessary amount in the organ.
How does a urologist evaluate the condition of the prostate?
If one of the signs of the disease appears, the urologist performs a digital examination of the prostate gland. Many do not know how to check the prostate in men. Using medical gloves, the doctor enters the anus and assesses the size and shape of the prostate gland. If the gland is strongly inflamed and increased, then this is a clear sign of prostatitis. During the examination, the doctor takes a smear and sends it to the laboratory for examination. This is necessary in order to detect an infectious disease.
As medical practice shows, most often the development of prostatitis and prostate adenoma occurs due to an infectious disease that is transmitted through unprotected intercourse. It is equally important during the inspection process to check the mobility of the body. In the process of palpation, the urologist presses on the stomach. This is necessary in order to accurately determine the size of the gland.
For transrectal ultrasound, it is necessary to cleanse the intestines, as feces will become an obstacle to close contact with the gland, and the diagnostician will not have the opportunity to carefully examine it. Free rotation of the sensor in the rectum will recreate the full picture of the organ.
You can use any well-known and convenient method - with the help of an enema, laxatives or special pharmaceutical preparations, such as Fortrans, Fleet and others. If enema cleansing is used, it is necessary to rinse the intestines until the outlet water becomes clear. Fortrans and Fleet, when taken on the basis of 25 kg of weight, 1 sachet dissolved in 1 liter of water gives an excellent effect without extra effort with setting enemas.
It is better to carry out such water procedures from the evening on the eve of the ultrasound, if it will be in the morning, and if after dinner, then you can do the cleaning in the morning a few hours before the examination. In the case of a planned simultaneous biopsy of the prostate along with an ultrasound, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics to prevent the development of inflammatory processes as a result of punctures when taking a tissue sample.
This method does not require filling the bladder, since direct contact with the walls of the prostate gland provides the necessary information, and even a crowded bladder can, on the contrary, distort images by squeezing the organ.
What can prevent getting a complete picture of the examined organ?
Despite the fact that ultrasound examination is a simple and affordable method, there are several aspects that can have a negative impact on its implementation. Some moments the patient himself can control and exclude them, but on others - he is not subject to influence.
So, the examinee must warn the attending physician if a few days before the planned appointment of an ultrasound, he underwent a colonoscopy (examination of the intestine) in contrast or irrigoscopy (x-ray of the intestine). The use of a contrast agent or barium can distort the results of an examination of the prostate.
It is necessary to report on all medications that are taken by patients - perhaps some may affect intestinal motility, muscle tone, which will also lead to an incorrect interpretation of the state of the organ under examination.During the procedure, the patient should lie still, because excessive activity will not allow the doctor to concentrate and carefully examine the studied area.
It can also disrupt the ultrasound picture when capturing image signals. Inadequate preparation will lead to the accumulation of gas and feces in the intestine, which may be mistaken for pathological foci, an insufficiently filled bubble will not allow a detailed examination of the organ. Overflowing will squeeze it and interfere with assessing the structure and volume.
For overweight patients, only the transrectal method is suitable, since the fat layer will not allow ultrasonic waves to break through it. If there are wound surfaces in the area planned for the study, then you will have to choose a method in which contact with the wound surface will be minimal.
It can be seen that the majority of the obstacles for a successful examination are created by the patient himself. Therefore, if we take into account all the possible moments that can interfere with obtaining high-quality results, then the first time, without spending extra time and effort, you can get the necessary materials to establish a diagnosis.
Transrectal and rectal ultrasound of the prostate, preparation
In middle age, men often have problems with sexual function, this is due to hormonal failure or the development of diseases of the genitourinary system. So that the disease does not become chronic, it is important to regularly visit a doctor. If there were serious illnesses in the family, doctors recommend being examined at least once every three months. This is due to a possible genetic predisposition. Often men are concerned about prostate ultrasound and preparation for the procedure.
Common Diseases in Men
When there are unpleasant symptoms associated with the genitourinary system, at the doctor’s appointment often patients hear a diagnosis of prostatitis. This is the most common disease that prevents men from leading a normal and active lifestyle. Among the main causes of problems in the functioning of the prostate gland are:
- passive lifestyle
- eating excessively fatty foods,
- genitourinary infection
- strong nervous tension or stress over time,
- poor nutrition
- tobacco abuse
- drug use
- overheating of the body or hypothermia.
Few people know that the prostate gland is one of the most vulnerable organs in men. She is very vulnerable to tobacco products. Nicotine and alcohol badly affect the functioning of the gland, interfere with its full work. Doctors advise leading a healthy lifestyle, consume minimal amounts of alcohol and exercise regularly.
Proper nutrition will saturate the body with the most important trace elements, give strength and energy to the person. In this case, the protective function of the body can resist infections and viruses. In fact, the most common cause of prostatitis is a genitourinary infection, which is transmitted to a sexual partner in case of unprotected intercourse.
Signs of the disease
Very rarely, the disease does not make itself felt. There were cases when the patient felt good, but at the same time the disease developed intensively and turned into a chronic form. Among the very first and main symptoms are:
- feeling of pain in the lower abdomen,
- drawing pains in the lower back
- severe weakness or fatigue,
- frequent desire to empty
- the presence of white and stretching discharge in the urine,
- penis blood
- severe impulsive pain in the scrotum,
- discomfort during emptying of the bladder,
- inflammatory process in the genital area,
- sexual problems.
If a man saw at least one of the signs, this is cause for concern.At home, it is almost impossible to determine the cause of an unpleasant symptom. This may indicate the presence of a serious ailment. First of all, you need to go to the urologist to undergo a full medical examination.
Medical examination and its types
If you feel worse or have one of the signs of an ailment, you should take tests. First of all, the doctor will conduct an examination. If there is a suspicion of the presence of prostatitis, the urologist will conduct a digital examination. Using gloves and a special fluid, the doctor inserts a finger into the anus. In a lying or standing position, depending on the wishes of the man, the general condition of the prostate gland is assessed.
The very first thing a doctor pays attention to is this is the size of the prostate and the presence of pain during examination. If there is the slightest deviation from the norm, the specialist gives a referral to ultrasound. The reason for undergoing this type of diagnosis may be a large organ size or the presence of an inflammatory process. During the examination, a smear is taken for the presence of infections and fungus, this analysis is called a tank-sowing. In the case when the man went to the doctor, while vivid symptoms of the disease were identified and severe severe pain was present, then an ultrasound scan is performed instead of a finger examination. The introduction of a finger into the hole can only hurt and cause severe pain.
More accurate information about the state of the organ can be found out by means of ultrasound of the prostate gland: preparation for the study will help to accurately determine the size of the organ, confirm the presence of malignant tumors, and evaluate the functioning of blood vessels. Sometimes a man does not want to undergo a finger examination, based on their aesthetic considerations, and this type of diagnosis will become a way out. There are several main types of ultrasound studies:
- Transrectal examination. With this type of diagnosis, a small sensor in the form of a small pen is inserted into the anus. Slight discomfort is possible, but thanks to such an examination, you can inspect the organ as closely as possible from all sides, while the picture on the monitor screen will be much clearer. The procedure is carried out in a supine position, it is advisable not to straighten the legs. Before the examination, an enema must be done so that the stool does not interfere with the examination.
- Transurethral type of diagnosis. A special device is introduced to the man through the urethra. This is a very sensitive area of the male body, so it is necessary to perform all actions under anesthesia. Such an ultrasound is prescribed strictly according to the doctor’s testimony, if there is a risk of developing cancer or prostate adenoma.
- The transabdominal method is the most common among all species. Inspection is carried out with a specially designed sensor, using a gel. The liquid is smeared on the stomach and gently guided by the device in the place where the organ is located. Thanks to the low-frequency sound waves, the specialist receives a clear image on his monitor.
Based on the results of the study, the diagnosis is not made. It is necessary to evaluate the performance of a general clinical blood test, inoculation tank and prostate ultrasound. Preparation for the study is very important, because based on this information, complex treatment is prescribed. The physiological characteristics of each patient are taken into account.
If there is an inflammatory process, it is necessary to take anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. When there is a risk of developing prostate cancer, your doctor may order a tissue biopsy.
This result is the most accurate, it can reliably indicate the presence of a malignant formation. In cases where the disease is too neglected, and the prostate is too large, the problem is eliminated surgically. Treatment after surgery takes place in a hospital, under the strict supervision of specialists.It is important to know that after removal of the prostate, a man will not be able to fertilize a woman.
Sexual function will recover over time, sexual life will improve, and unpleasant symptoms of the disease will disappear.
The ultrasound method does not require special preparation. There are only a few recommendations, by following which you can simply facilitate the examination of the body. Doctors recommend before the examination:
- do not drink a lot of alcohol the day before the ultrasound,
- eat right, eliminate fatty and spicy foods,
- it’s better not to eat fermented milk and dairy products,
- lead an active lifestyle, without excessive physical exertion,
- do not use a narcotic substance
- fill the bladder.
Nutrition plays a very important role. If the patient eats foods that cause bloating or fermentation in the abdomen, the picture on the screen will not be clear. The specialist will need more time to examine the organ from all sides. It is undesirable the day before going to the doctor to have sex, this can affect the obtained indicators.
Before entering the ultrasound diagnostic room, it is advisable to drink water: a full bladder will come to the fore, and in this way it will be easier to examine all organs. Do not drink too much liquid, as severe discomfort is possible during slight pressure on the lower abdomen by the sensor. If you need to prepare for an ultrasound urgently, the doctor fills the bladder in the office, using a special catheter.
General and bacterial urine tests
A general urine test is prescribed to determine:
- the presence of extraneous discharge,
- white blood cell count
- the nature of pathogenic microflora,
- erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
Bacterial analysis of urine is aimed at determining the type of microorganism that caused the infection.
Additional types of prostate diagnostics that a urologist can prescribe
Additional diagnostic procedures aimed at assessing the condition of the prostate are usually prescribed in the following cases.
- There is not enough information to make an accurate diagnosis.
- Treatment of the disease does not bring results.
- There are suspicions of oncology and pathologies associated with prostatitis.
We list additional types of prostate diagnostics.
Transrectal ultrasound of the prostate
This is a very informative diagnostic procedure. In addition to prostatitis, it reveals cysts, adenoma, as well as the presence of malignant neoplasms.
Transrectal ultrasound involves the introduction of an ultrasound probe into the rectum 5-7 cm. If you want to examine the seminal vesicles, the device is inserted a little deeper (7-9 cm). The duration of an ultrasound examination of the prostate usually does not exceed 15 minutes.
Transrectal ultrasound of the prostate gland requires preparation.
- A week before the procedure, exclude products that increase gas formation from the diet.
- Do not eat after 18:00 on the eve of the examination.
- Before the procedure, cleanse the intestines using an enema or other methods.
- Drink 1 liter of water an hour before the examination.
Usually a transrectal ultrasound examination of the prostate is enough to obtain the necessary information. Other additional diagnostic procedures are prescribed much less frequently.
This is an x-ray of the gland using a contrast agent. The procedure is suitable for the diagnosis of prostatitis and prostate adenoma. Prostatography is prescribed if necessary, urgent receipt of accurate data on the state of the organ. This examination does not require prior preparation. You just need to empty the bladder before the procedure.
It is carried out like this.
- Contrast material is injected into the bladder (in some cases, directly into the gland).
- The doctor waits a few minutes. During this time, the contrast agent enters the bloodstream and is distributed throughout the body.
- The specialist makes an x-ray in two projections (on the back and side).
After receiving the pictures, the doctor examines them and draws up a conclusion.
Understanding the consequences chronic prostatitis helps to realize the need for regular examinations, because it is the prostate that plays a key role in the sexual functionality of men and childbirth.
A rectal examination of the prostate (prostate gland) is a way of palpating it (palpation) through the patient's anus. It is part of a direct examination of the genitourinary system by a doctor to determine the direction of a diagnostic search or during preventive examinations. This is a routine procedure that does not bring anything derogatory to the patient.
It is prescribed if there is a suspicion that the prostate gland is filled with pus. In this case, it is necessary to urgently prescribe treatment. Computed tomography allows you to determine the direction of proliferation of purulent sac for timely removal.
Doctors recommend such studies in all men whose age exceeds 50 years, regardless of the presence or absence of signs of pathology of the genitourinary organs. This significantly increases the likelihood of diagnosing the causes of not only pronounced changes, but also fewer manifest, but serious and dangerous consequences of the disease in the early stages. Which sometimes preserves not only health, but the patient’s life.
The high information content of this study is due to the close anatomical relative position of the lower intestine and prostate gland. It directly adjoins the rectum in its anterior section, where the posterior surface of the prostate can be felt.
Before palpation, the region of the anus is also examined, cracks, signs of inflammation and the presence of hemorrhoids are revealed. This allows us to exclude concomitant bowel pathology and to identify the spread of the process beyond the gland tissue in some diseases (neoplasms, abscesses).
Technique for rectal examination of the prostate
The procedure is carried out in the patient’s position on the side with legs pressed to the chest (with bent hip and knee joints) or in the knee-elbow position. The study is performed by a urologist or andrologist.
- The doctor puts on sterile gloves.
- To facilitate the procedure, lubricates the index finger of one hand with Vaseline and inserts it into the rectum.
- At a distance of 5 cm from the anus along the front inner surface of the rectum, the doctor gropes for a prostate that resembles a chestnut in shape.
- Examines not only the tissue of the prostate gland, but also the inner surface of the mucous membrane of the rectum.
- To obtain the secretion of the gland (with suspected inflammatory and oncological processes), the doctor performs a massage of the gland.
- The resulting secret is sent to the laboratory for analysis.
If it is necessary to probe the seminal vesicles (most often if an inflammatory process is suspected), then the procedure is carried out in the position of Picker, when the patient takes a position, as if sitting on the index finger of the doctor. This allows you to feel the deep sections of the rectum.
Parameters and their assessment
The prostate normally has a tight-elastic consistency uniform throughout the organ, in the middle part the middle groove is felt between its lobes, seminal vesicles are determined in the lateral areas of the gland. The borders of the prostate are clear, in the transverse size of iron it is 2.5-4.5 cm, and in the longitudinal from 2.5 to 3.5 cm. All structures are painless, and the mucous membrane of the rectum is displaced above the prostate, the tissues are not welded together.
- the size of the gland (if enlarged, then evenly or in a certain area),
- the form of the prostate (with pathology - irregular, asymmetric),
- the boundaries of the tissues of the gland and seminal vesicles (clear or fuzzy),
- density (with diseases, areas of sharp compaction or softening may appear),
- the characteristic of the interlobar grooves (in inflammatory processes of various nature is smoothed out until disappearance),
- the degree of sensitivity and pain (of individual sites and the entire organ),
- mobility of the intestinal mucosa at the place of adjoining of the prostate (with the spread of the pathological process outside the gland, intestinal tissue involvement and its fixation is possible),
- characteristics of the tissues around the gland, seminal vesicles (soreness, texture, size).
Changes in various pathologies
Prostate change in inflammation
With a rectal examination of the prostate, one can assume the inflammatory, tumor nature of the changes in the organ, to reveal the degree of spread of the pathological process and the involvement of surrounding structures.
At acute inflammatory changes (prostatitis) there is an increase in size, while there is a sharp pain, the consistency becomes more dense, and the borders are somewhat smoothed out. With a complicated course and the formation of an abscess, foci of a sharp decrease in density join, up to situations where fluid is probed in a limited cavity (a focus of fluctuations). Chronic prostatitis is characterized by a slight increase in the prostate and its uneven consistency, a slight pain is possible.
Adenoma (benign hyperplasia) is characterized by an increase in the size of the prostate gland and significant smoothing of the median groove while maintaining normal density. No soreness.
To probability malignant neoplasm (prostate cancer) indicates:
- pronounced and uneven density (up to rocky),
- increase in size,
- palpation tenderness
- the adhesion of the tissues of the gland and rectum, the inability to displace the intestinal mucosa at the site of contact with the prostate.
Thus, rectal digital examination of the prostate gland is a traditional method of direct examination of the patient, which allows determining the feasibility of further studies during preventive examinations, as well as prescribing instrumental methods to confirm the diagnosis.
The prostate gland is one of the organs that ensure the normal functioning of the male genitourinary system. Violation of her work leads to serious consequences for health and significantly worsens the condition of a man's life. The most reliable procedure that allows you to quickly identify such pathologies is palpation of the prostate.
What is prostate palpation for?
A digital examination of the prostate gland is a mandatory procedure that is carried out at the initial examination by a urologist with suspected pathologies. This is an old, but simple and affordable method that allows you to identify changes in the size and structure of the organ, indicating serious illness. A digital examination of the prostate gives the doctor the following information:
- sensitivity, pain
- organ size
- the presence of formations and inclusions,
- the presence of puffiness,
- condition of the median sulcus,
- consistency, sharpness and elasticity of the capsule,
- organ mobility.
Attention! Probing of the prostate is carried out rectally, since this gland is almost adjacent to the rectum.
There are no other methods of palpating this organ.
Advantages and disadvantages of the method
Digital rectal examination remains one of the main diagnostic methods, despite the existence of other, more modern methods. The demand for this technique is explained by the presence of a number of advantages:
- The procedure is very simple and does not take much time.
- The method is very informative: it provides the doctor with enough data to make an accurate diagnosis.
- A small number of contraindications to the procedure.
- During palpation, the doctor may collect the exudate exudate for additional studies.
A rectal examination of the prostate reveals inflammation of the tissues of the gland, cancer in the initial stages and hyperplasia, which makes this technique very popular. However, this diagnostic technique has its drawbacks:
- When a tumor is detected, it is impossible to determine exactly whether it is malignant.
- Psychological and physical discomfort during the procedure.
Self-rectal digital rectal examination is possible, but highly recommended. Only a specialist is able to carry out the procedure in such a way as to deliver the patient as little inconvenience and avoid damage.
Indications for rectal palpation
Diseases associated with organ function usually have vivid symptoms. A digital rectal examination of the prostate is performed when the following negative symptoms appear:
- violation of urination: pain, burning, weak, intermittent stream,
- the presence of blood in the urine,
- discoloration and smell of urine,
- sexual dysfunctions: impaired potency, premature ejaculation,
- blood in the seminal fluid,
- purulent and bloody discharge,
- pain during bowel movements,
- testicular pain
- pain in the pelvic area, perineum, urethra.
If any of these symptoms occurs, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible: ignoring the pathology or self-medication can lead to disastrous consequences for men's health.
Is it possible and how to check the prostate at home?
Doctors do not recommend testing the prostate gland on their own without having the skills and medical knowledge to do this. But self-diagnosis can still be carried out, especially if the man began to experience pain and burning sensation when urinating, he has a sluggish stream of urine.
Having taken a knee-elbow pose, you should carefully and slowly introduce the index finger into the rectum, trying to find the gland. Sharp movements are not allowed. The finger should move gently, you need to try to lightly massage the prostate. The prostate feels like an elastic ball, the contours of which should be clear. The prostate gland should move slightly. In the middle of the prostate, a man can detect a longitudinal groove, this is the norm. If he found nodules, seals, fuzzy contours of the gland or he has acute pain during palpation, then he should immediately seek advice and help from a specialist.
It is not difficult to check the prostate on its own, but if something is done wrong, then you can injure the gland. Then the patient’s condition only worsens, an exacerbation may occur. Even if a man finds any problems with the prostate, he still needs to go to a urologist to make a diagnosis. And this specialist will re-palpate the prostate to determine the cause of the pathology and pain.
Interpretation of results: norm and pathology
Note! The norm of the size of the organ is 2.5-3 cm.
It should have an elastic consistency and share a longitudinal groove exactly in the middle.
If the study of the prostate showed a symmetric enlargement of the gland and smoothness of the interlobar groove until its disappearance, the patient is diagnosed with adenoma - the most common disease of the prostate gland.
Prostatitis during palpation is manifested in the form of significant soreness and an increase in both the entire prostate gland and one of its lobes.
If the doctor discovers tight nodes during palpation of the prostate, this may indicate cancer. With the progression of the disease, the contours of the organ are blurred, and in the later stages of oncology, it turns into a tuberous formation, often soldered to neighboring organs.
With an abscess, a digital examination of the prostate reveals an increase in the size of the gland, a sharp pain syndrome, and sometimes fluctuations, fluctuations indicating the presence of a cavity with pus. Chronic inflammation of the prostate gland is characterized by a slight change in size and uneven consistency. In the case of stone formation during palpation of the prostate, an increase in size and unevenness of the surface of the gland is recorded. With atrophy, the prostate gland takes on a sickle shape.
After palpation of the prostate through the rectum, regardless of the results obtained, additional tests and examinations are prescribed to confirm the diagnosis:
- general analysis of urine and blood,
- secret analysis
- bacteriological culture of urine,
- Pelvic MRI
- transrectal sonography of the prostate and seminal nodules,
- PSA blood test.
Palpation of the prostate gland through the rectum is an unpleasant but necessary procedure that makes it easy to identify serious pathologies. If you suspect a prostate disease, it is recommended that you first resort to a finger examination before using other diagnostic methods, since it allows you to accurately determine what kind of research the patient needs to undergo for an accurate diagnosis.
Where to get tested
There are two options:
- Go to the city clinic for an appointment. The advantage is that admission will be free if there is a medical policy. The downside is that you can wait under the doors of your turn for more than one hour, and the attitude of the staff of city clinics is not always cordial,
- Go to a private clinic appointment. In paid medical clinics, employees value their reputation, therefore they treat each patient with respect, try to please him, do everything possible to make him feel comfortable. The disadvantage of going to a private clinic is that you have to pay not only for the study, but also for the appointment.
Finger prostate examination is the main, simple, cheap and informative method for examining the prostate gland. The completeness of the picture display, as well as the success of the procedure, depends on the correct diagnosis at home or in the doctor’s office. It is best to regularly be examined by a urologist. So you not only prevent the risk of trauma to the prostate (with an independent check you can damage the gland if you inaccurately check it), but you can also get a reliable picture of the state of prostate health.
How is the inspection
If a woman goes to a proctologist for an emergency (bleeding, severe pain), then preliminary preparation is not required. In all other cases, it is necessary to perform bowel cleansing with an enema or by taking a laxative the day before a doctor's visit. For a day, it is recommended to exclude from the diet all foods that contribute to increased gas formation (kvass, legumes, mushrooms, brown bread, cabbage). In addition, the patient needs the right psychological attitude to make the examination successful.
For women, this is especially important, so you can take a sedative.
External examination of a woman in a proctology room
Reception proctologist consists of several stages:
- an interview with a doctor, a history of illness and life,
- external examination of the anal area,
- digital rectal examination
If it is necessary to clarify the diagnosis, additional examinations are prescribed - colonoscopy, irrigography, MRI, ultrasound, blood, feces and urine tests.
More information about the main methods of rectal examination:
- External examination allows you to assess the condition of the skin around the anus, the presence of irritation and swelling of tissues, swelling, external hemorrhoidal nodes, fistulous passages and other pathologies.Carried out on a gynecological chair or in the knee-elbow position of the patient.
- Finger rectal examination allows you to probe all the walls of the rectum, assess the elasticity of the muscles of the pelvic floor, the state of the sphincter, the presence of internal hemorrhoids, anal fissure, cyst or coccyx fracture, paraproctitis. In women, this method can additionally detect pathology from the female genital area (in virgins this is the only way of manual examination). Contraindication is the presence of an acute infectious disease, a sharp narrowing of the lumen of the anus, severe pain.
- Anoscopy is an examination of the anus and rectum in the mirrors to a depth of 9-10 cm. During this study, you can detect and evaluate the condition of internal hemorrhoidal nodes, the presence of neoplasms, cracks, stenosis, severe inflammation. A relative contraindication is an acute inflammatory process, narrowing of the anal canal.
- Sigmoidoscopy - the so-called deeper examination of the rectum and part of the sigmoid colon up to 30 cm from the anus. The procedure is almost painless, very informative for the detection of ulcers, polyps, tumors, and a source of bleeding. A woman’s menstruation, acute anal fissure and profuse bleeding can serve as a temporary contraindication.
Colonoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the entire colon in order to identify the pathology of the deeper sections with suspected oncology, polyposis, intestinal obstruction. It is carried out with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, bleeding from the digestive tract. Allows you to remove foreign objects, small benign tumors during the study and take biopsy material. Contraindications - severe heart failure, pathology of the blood coagulation system, acute infections.
All the methods currently used in proctology allow us to conduct high-quality and timely diagnosis of diseases of the colon, anus, and perineum.
The choice of method in each case should be carried out by a doctor, based on complaints, the condition of the patient, the presence of concomitant pathology and individual characteristics of the body.
Laboratory diagnostic method
In the process of examining a patient, laboratory diagnostic methods cannot be dispensed with. This is necessary in order to assess what changes are occurring in the body. First, a general clinical blood test is necessary. Based on the result of the analysis, it is possible to identify the presence of inflammatory processes. The study will help diagnose viral or bacterial diseases. Thanks to the analysis of urine, the doctor reveals serious destructive changes in the prostate gland. To do this, determine the level of epithelial cells in the urine.
Some diseases of the rectum and its anus in humans
Consider some diseases of the rectum and its anus that can be successfully diagnosed with a similar study.
An anal fissure (fissura ani) has the appearance of a linear defect in the mucous membrane of the anus. The crack length is usually 2 cm, width 2-3 mm. More often, the crack is located in the region of the posterior commissure of the anus (there may be several cracks; their most typical location is: anterior and posterior commissures: “mirror” cracks).
At the initial stage of the anus disease, the cracks represent a tear of the skin in the area of the transitional fold and the mucous membrane of the rectum in the area of the anal canal. Gradually, the soft edges of the crack become hard, callous, it expands and becomes a trophic ulcer, the bottom of which is covered with granulations.Joining a rectal sphincter spasm reduces the possibility of healing of a crack due to tissue ischemia. In the region of the inner edge of the crack, a connective tissue scar develops - the so-called border tubercle. A patient with a chronic crack at the time of defecation experiences pain, with slight bleeding. The pains are cutting, burning, stitching (sometimes intense), lasting from several minutes to several hours after defecation.
The prolonged sphincter spasm after defecation and severe pain syndrome observed in this anus in people have caused the phenomenon of “stool fear”. Blood defecated during a bowel movement is usually not mixed with feces, but located on its surface in the form of stripes or appears at the end of a bowel movement in the form of a few drops.
To detect prolapse of the mucous membrane or all layers of the rectal wall of the patient, they are asked to squeeze in a squatting position. Prolapse of the rectum means a condition in which the entire rectum or part of it is located for a long time or for a short time outside the anus. For prolapse of the rectum, the omission of all layers of its wall is characteristic with the exit through the anus to the outside (without prolapse of the anal part). The main reason for the prolapse of the rectal mucosa is the weakening of its connection with the submucosa due to inflammatory processes.
In addition, in adults, prolapse of the rectal mucosa occurs most often as a complication of hemorrhoids with a tendency to prolapse of nodes. In these cases, constipation serves as a predisposing factor. Diarrhea, accompanied by tenesmus, can also lead to rectal prolapse. The pathogenesis of prolapse of all layers of the rectum seems to be different - predisposing and producing causes are distinguished. The first include structural features of the sacrum (the degree of its bending), the presence of a long mesentery in the pelvic part of the rectum, weakness of the muscles of the pelvic floor and the muscle apparatus that lifts the rectum. The second is an increase in intra-abdominal pressure, noted with constipation, diarrhea, hard physical labor, and coughing.
There are 4 degrees of rectal prolapse.
- With I degree, the rectum falls out only during bowel movements and then independently sets when the patient draws in the abdomen. The dimensions of the precipitated part are 4-6 cm.
- With II degree, the patient has to set the prolapse of the bowel himself. Drop sizes increase to 6-8 cm.
- With grade III, the rectum falls out not only during bowel movements, but also with slight straining (coughing, laughing), while there is an incontinence of gases (and then liquid stool) due to the joined relaxation of the sphincter. The dimensions of the precipitated part are 8-12 cm.
- With IV degree, the rectum always falls out when the patient takes a vertical position. To the relaxation of the sphincter, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the prolapsed part of the intestine is attached, erosions and sores appear on it. Dimensions of the precipitated part> 12 cm.
The diagnosis of prolapse of the rectum (prolapsus recti) is made immediately after straining the patient in a squatting position - the rectum is displaced downward with its exit (inversion) through the anus (the appearance of a pink-colored cylinder with circular folding in the perineum).
Depending on the severity of pathological changes, 4 forms of prolapse are distinguished:
- Only the mucous membrane of the anus,
- All layers of the wall of the anal canal (prolapsus ani),
- Rectum without prolapse of the anus (prolapsus ani proper),
- Anus and rectum (prolapsus ani et recti).
Proctologists know well how to check the intestines and rectum using endoscopic diagnostic methods.To this end, there are two main approaches: anoscopy and sigmoidoscopy.
Anoscopy is the management of a special endoscope of small diameter and length into the rectum. Such a device allows the doctor to visually assess the condition of the mucous membrane, identify pathological changes on it (ulcers, tumor growth, inflammatory processes), as well as conduct a biopsy of the suspicious area for subsequent histological examination.
Sigmoidoscopy is used to evaluate not only the rectum, but also the sigmoid colon. It is this procedure that allows you to conduct a full proctological examination and identify the main spectrum of diseases that affect this section of the gastrointestinal tract.
It is important to note that in this study, the patient must first be prepared and cleansed by an enema or medication. . Irrigoscopy and colonoscopy
Irrigoscopy and colonoscopy
The following two methods of examination allow you to evaluate the condition of the colon throughout its entire length, which can be useful in complex diagnostic cases.
Irrigoscopy is a procedure for x-ray examination of the large intestine, which consists in filling it with barium sulfate and subsequent x-rays.
Pictures are taken after a certain period of time, which allows us to assess the condition and function of the main parts of the intestine. This method is suitable for the detection of tumors, fistulas, diverticula and other pathological conditions.
What is the name of an endoscopic examination of the rectum, which allows you to assess the condition of other parts of the colon? This is a colonoscopy, which is the "gold standard" in the diagnosis of diseases of this localization.
The procedure allows you to obtain reliable information about the state of organs, conduct a biopsy and a number of microinvasive surgical interventions (removal of the polyp, stopping of intestinal bleeding, etc.).
A similar study is carried out using general anesthesia.
Indications for a medical examination
Carrying out an instrumental examination will allow the proctologist to make an accurate diagnosis, but, despite this, there are certain contraindications to performing all types of rectal diagnostics. They must be taken into account and notified by the attending physician before the diagnosis.
Such contraindications include:
- heavy bleeding
- pulmonary failure
- circulatory system diseases
- the development of paraproctitis or hemorrhoids,
- muscle spasm of the anus,
- pain in the rectum.
An examination will help establish the cause of the pathology, after which the doctor will be able to prescribe the appropriate treatment to eliminate the painful symptoms of the disease. In such cases, the proctologist can also choose the most suitable preparation method for another instrumental examination of the rectum.
As soon as all the test results are in the hands of the doctor, he, having made an accurate diagnosis, will be able to prescribe the optimal method of therapy. Also, this will allow to appoint preventive measures, compliance with which will protect the patient from possible relapses of the disease.
Finger examination is not performed for everyone and not always.
Here there are indications for the conduct, where there are:
- patient complaints of pain in the lower abdomen,
- if the patient has a violation of the functions of the genitourinary organs and intestines,
- complaints of pain in the anal area, during bowel movements,
- in the presence of already diagnosed hemorrhoids and related ailments to determine the effectiveness of treatment,
- preventive examination of men after 40 years in order to prevent the development of prostate diseases,
- examination of women over 40 years of age to detect and prevent genital diseases (if there is no possibility to conduct a digital examination directly).
Finger rectal examination reveals the development of pathology, which contributes to the beginning of timely treatment.
Also, a specialist using such an examination can determine the need for additional instrumental research in the form of rectoscopy, colonoscopy or anoscopy.
Why you need to check the prostate
The most common diseases of the prostate are cancer, prostatitis and adenoma. These disorders in the early stages are asymptomatic, which complicates the diagnosis.
Because of this, treatment is much more complicated, and some pathologies (for example, prostate cancer) in the later stages can even lead to the death of a person.
Therefore, when the following symptoms appear, you need be sure to diagnose the prostate:
- Pathological discharge from the urethra (blood, mucus with an unpleasant odor, etc.).
- Redness and rash on the penis.
- Change in the color of urine (the appearance of red blotches, dark urine, etc.).
- Pain during sex.
- Bad smell from the penis.
- Frequent urination.
If during the examination the diagnosis is confirmed, the urologist must draw up a course of treatment. It is worth noting that most diseases of the prostate gland in the early stages are treated quite well.
Methods of palpation of the prostate gland
The main methods for examining the prostate gland:
- Rectal palpation. During a rectal examination of the prostate, the doctor inserts a finger into the anus and feels the prostate to check this organ for the presence of a tumor.
- Instrumental diagnostics. In this case, the doctor performs an ultrasound, radiographic or urethroscopic examination. These diagnostic methods allow you to estimate the total size of the prostate gland. Also, with their help, you can establish or refute the presence of inflammation, stones, cancerous tumors, etc.
- Laboratory examination. In this case, the doctor takes a blood test or discharge from the urethra to check the body for hidden pathologies of the prostate gland. Such diagnostics are usually used when a bacterial or viral infection is suspected, since laboratory analysis allows you to accurately determine the type of harmful microorganism with which a person is infected.
- Biopsy. In this case, the doctor takes a fragment of the prostate for analysis. A biopsy is usually used when cancer is suspected, because with this method you can accurately determine the type of cancer.
How to check the prostate gland in men at home? To carry out this procedure, the following algorithm exists:
- Put on rubber gloves, lie on your side and squeeze your knees under you.
- Palpate the anus - using this method, you can diagnose external cysts and hemorrhoids.
- Put a little Vaseline on your finger and gently insert it into the anus.
- Find and feel the prostate gland. What should be a healthy prostate? Normally, the prostate gland is located in the upper part of the rectum, and its walls are very soft and smooth. If the surface of the prostate feels very hard or lumpy, this may indicate the presence of a cancerous tumor. Also, easily press on the prostate gland, while normally no pain should occur.
Please note that self-diagnosis should be carried out very carefully so as not to damage the muscular membrane of the anus. If during the self-diagnosis you found a deviation from the norm, then in this case it is necessary to visit a urologist.
Rectal examination of the prostate by a urologist
A prostate is examined by a doctor in a special examination room.
Before a rectal examination, the doctor makes a history. To do this, the patient must tell the doctor about what unpleasant symptoms he had.
After this, the doctor may ask several questions to clarify some points.
Such questions may be delicate, but they can improve the quality of diagnosis, so the patient should treat this survey with understanding.
After that, the doctor proceeds directly to the examination. To do this, the patient must remove his pants and underwear, lie on his side on a special couch.
Then the doctor puts on gloves, lubricates the index finger with a lubricant and inserts it into the anus. Then he palpates the prostate with his finger.
If necessary, the doctor can press with the other hand on the lower abdomen to improve the quality of diagnosis.
During a rectal examination, the doctor can take a special secret for analysis, which allows you to assess the growth and development of the organ: this is useful for a more detailed diagnosis.
In most cases, a rectal examination is pain-free. Unpleasant sensations during the examination can only occur if there is a serious disease at a late stage of development (for example, in the case of advanced cancer), so you do not need to be afraid of the examination.
Despite the available modern methods of research using tools, rectal palpation through the rectum remains one of the most popular methods for diagnosing disorders of the prostate gland.
During such an examination, a specialist will be able to determine the size of the organ, its structure, shape and borders. Prostate tenderness and gland tissue consistency are also analyzed.
Among the advantages of rectal examination, it is worth noting:
- High speed research - just 5 minutes is enough.
- High information content - they rely on the result of such a study when they diagnose the patient.
- A small number of contraindications - palpation can not be carried out only with acute hemorrhoids and inflammation of the rectum. But even with these diseases, you can conduct a course of therapy, improve the condition and palpate.
- An opportunity to take additional materials for research. During palpation, pressing on the prostate, juice is extracted from it, which is called exudate, on the basis of its study, a diagnosis of the state of the prostate gland is carried out.
The disadvantages of this procedure are as follows:
- Inability to determine the nature of the tumor (benign or malignant). Of course, there are basic signs by which you can determine the disease, but still require additional examinations.
- Unpleasant sensations on palpation. Many men find this procedure too humiliating. On palpation, pain can be felt only when pressing on the inflamed gland.
How often do you need to check the prostate
Doctors recommend a prostate test 1-2 times a year. This diagnosis allows you to identify the disease at an early stage of development, which significantly increases the chances of recovery.
Please note that most often prostate diseases are diagnosed at the age of 40 years or more, therefore, at this age, a routine examination must be carried out.
In some cases, it is necessary to conduct an extraordinary check of the prostate.
These situations include:
- Infertility. The prostate synthesizes a special secret that directly affects the quality of sperm, and infertility may indicate that the prostate is not working properly.
- Pain during sex. Normally, sex should only bring pleasure, but in the presence of prostate diseases during sex, acute pain may appear, which indicates the presence of hidden disorders.
- The appearance of secretions from the penis. The main cases are a change in the color of urine, the appearance of spotting, the appearance of mucus, etc. Allocations indicate that inflammation has begun in the prostate, which is a symptom of a more serious illness.
Currently, there are many modern methods for studying prostate pathologies. Such methods include transrectal, transurethral and other types of studies.
With all this, palpation of the prostate gland remains a fairly popular method, which helps to make a preliminary diagnosis. There are contraindications, it is necessary to consult a specialist. Palpation of the prostate in men: what should be to the touch Link to the main publication
Privacy & Cookies Policy
What is the prostate and its function
The prostate gland is the most important organ of the urogenital system of men. It finally develops by the age of 25 and until the elderly person, its shape remains unchanged. But subject to her absolute health.
In the current pace of life and the aggressive effects of the environment, such a state of the gland is difficult to achieve. The vast majority of men have prostate changes, expressed more or less.
The gland consists of two lobes, separated by a groove. It is located in close proximity to the bladder and rectum, it is externally covered by a capsule of smooth muscle cells and connective tissue. Covers the neck of the bladder and the upper part of the urethra.
The function of the prostate gland is to produce the most important components of seminal fluid and antigen that reduces sperm viscosity.
How old are prostate problems
Today, there are two stereotypes regarding men's health.
- Prostatitis occurs in all men,
- Prostatitis is an elderly disease.
Neither opinion is wrong. Prostatitis awaits not all, without exception, men, but every third. This is urological statistics. Regarding the age criterion, we can say that the risk of prostate diseases increases with the age of the man.
But signs of various pathologies of the prostate gland can appear at the age of 20 and 50. In urological practice, there are cases of prostatitis in minor virgins.
With the onset of sexual activity, the risk of developing a pathological process increases sharply. Provoking factors:
- Frequent change of sexual partner
- Unhealthy Lifestyle,
- Lack of exercise,
- Bacterial infections
- Pelvic diseases
Prostatitis is a sluggish disease with periodic exacerbations. Most often, men turn to a urologist for help during periods accompanied by pain and discomfort. At the primary outpatient appointment, a digital rectal examination of the prostate is performed. Therefore, it is advisable to prepare for it (for reception).
How to prepare for palpation
In order for the picture of the state of the organ to be clear, and not blurry, you must refrain:
- From intercourse a few hours before admission,
- From physical exertion, one way or another capable of affecting the state of the prostate (weight lifting, weight training),
- From cycling.
Frequently asked questions about prostate ultrasound
Before taking, you need to make a microclyster in order to release the rectum. The bladder also needs to be emptied.
Compliance with these simple rules will allow the doctor to conduct a more accurate diagnosis. Obtaining detailed information is important for both the doctor and the patient.
Technique for performing palpation of the prostate
The average size of the prostate is 25-35 mm. It is located at a distance of 3-5 cm from the anus. The base of the gland is directed upward, therefore, in the transverse section of the prostate is wider than in the longitudinal. A digital examination of the prostate gland allows you to determine the following indicators:
- The size and shape of the prostate
- The density of the capsule and the clarity of its contours,
- Symmetrical arrangement of shares,
- The condition of the median groove,
- The presence of seals and their intended structure,
- Assess the condition of the seminal vesicles.
- The doctor puts on sterile medical gloves,
- Covers the index or middle finger of the right hand with gel,
- Inserts a finger into the patient's anus to a depth of 3-5 cm,
- With the help of probing, it finds out the state of the organ.
In order to facilitate access to the gland, the patient can take one of the three recommended poses. And which of them will be the most successful, the doctor determines.
- Knee-elbow. In each urological office there are couches, which you can lean on your elbows,
- In the supine position with the knees drawn up to the level of the chest,
- In a standing position, leaning forward and resting your hands on any suitable object for this purpose.
A transrectal examination of the prostate does not take much time. On average, it lasts from one to several minutes. The patient experiences mainly emotional discomfort.
The study is carried out carefully, the so-called "gentle" finger. Otherwise, it will cause the patient anxiety, and he will try to "get away" from the finger. The results of such an examination will be blurry or inaccurate.
Self-examination of the condition of the prostate
Doctors do not recommend conducting an independent examination of the prostate, since special knowledge is needed to evaluate the findings. However, there is no harm from self-diagnosis and with its help a man can get basic information about the state of the gland. This will help resolve the issue of the need to take certain measures to restore health.
They begin to think about self-diagnosis when the following symptoms manifest:
- Sluggish stream of urine
- Pain or burning during urination,
- Pelvic pain
- Pain accompanying ejaculation
- Intermittent urination.
For independent palpation of the gland, you need to take the most convenient position. The hardest thing to do is overweight people. Before the procedure, it is necessary to empty the intestines and make microclyster.
It is important not to forget to cut your nails and put on a medical glove. The finger with which the research will be conducted should be smeared with a chemically neutral gel or cream.
No sharp movements should be made during the study. The finger is inserted carefully, trying to find the gland. The movements should be soft, massage type.
If everything is done correctly, you can independently evaluate the symmetry of the lobes and the structure of the gland, detect seals or nodes, determine the mobility of the capsule. This will be enough to draw conclusions about compliance with the norm or deviation from it.
Assessment of the results of the study
During palpation, the doctor examines not only the size and structure of the gland. It is equally important to visually assess the state of prostate secretion. It stands out with a slight pressure on the organ. If pus or blood is visually visible in secret, this is the basis for suspecting chronic and other diseases of the prostate.
The secret can be secreted in clots or not at all. In the second case, it can be assumed that it is thrown into the bladder, which often happens when the tone of his (bladder) neck is reduced.
If examination of the prostate through the rectum showed a uniform increase in both lobes while maintaining their symmetry and uniformity of structure, this indicates a developing adenoma.
Malignant neoplasms are characterized by tuberosity and stony structure. These symptoms are accompanied by low mobility of the gland relative to the wall of the rectum. The tumor can be localized in one or both lobes. Several dense nodes may also be present, since prostate cancer is a multifocal disease.
The state of the gland with chronic prostatitis:
- The first stage is characterized by tenderness of the prostate during palpation, increased size, swelling, a clear outline of the capsule,
- In the second stage, uneven density of the gland is observed, the dimensions are slightly increased, the soreness is moderate, atonicity is possible,
- The third stage is characterized by painlessness, poor secretion or lack of secretion, dense structure.
With atrophy of the prostate there is a "sickle symptom." The organ takes a similar form and this indicates serious violations and a decrease in androgenic function.
The effectiveness of the study depends on the experience of the doctor. A lot of young specialists refuse to palpate due to its low information content. This method of examination can only suspect a particular disease.
The degree of reliability of palpation results is low, since the receipt and evaluation of data is carried out by a person based on his knowledge and experience. Like PSA testing, this research method is primary and mandatory in urological practice. But the diagnosis is made after obtaining detailed and precise ultrasound and biopsy data.
Despite the low informativeness of the survey, you should not refuse it. It can show the absence of pathology and a further set of diagnostic procedures is not required.
How to check the prostate in men - palpation and rectal, digital examination
Assessment of the state of the prostate gland using tests and studies is a mandatory procedure for all men over 40 years of age. This is due to the fact that over the years, menopause is detected, hormonal imbalance is often observed, which leads to the risk of serious pathologies.
You can check the prostate yourself, in the presence of characteristic signs of pathology, you need to see a doctor. Using laboratory and instrumental methods of research, the doctor will establish the correct diagnosis and prescribe subsequent treatment.
We will find out how to assess the condition of the organ on its own, and what kind of prostate examination are there?
When to conduct a prostate examination yourself?
Of course, many urologists speak extremely negatively when men check the prostate at home on their own, but since the procedure is quite delicate, not every representative of the stronger sex is in a hurry to seek help from a medical specialist.
All men over 40 years old should check the prostate gland once every 12 months to exclude the presence of inflammatory processes, prostatitis and other pathologies. In addition, a list of risk factors stands out in medicine that oblige men to be screened at a younger age.
For information, the risk factors for prostate diseases are a genetic predisposition - if a man over 40 has relatives who have a history of cancer of the gland. And also belonging to the Negroid race - the examination should be carried out at least once a year.
An unscheduled examination is carried out in the presence of alarming symptoms from the genitourinary system, which indirectly indicates the development of inflammatory processes in the organ.
Prostate verification is necessary for the following clinical manifestations:
- Discomfort, pain, burning, or cramping during urination,
- Sluggish urine stream, a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder,
- Frequent trips to the toilet, especially at night,
- Pain in the sacrum
- Erectile dysfunction or complete penile dysfunction,
- Foreign substances are present in the urine - blood,
- Pain during ejaculation, etc.
With such a clinical picture, competent diagnosis is necessary, you should consult a medical specialist to identify the pathological process at an early stage, which eliminates possible complications in the future.
Prostate examination yourself
Conducting an independent examination of the prostate gland is not a dangerous manipulation, but certain rules are recommended. Also, a man must understand the algorithm of "diagnosis".
Inspection at home:
- First of all, a man takes a comfortable position - to lie on his side, legs bend slightly at the knees, while slightly leaning forward. This posture is optimal for feeling the glandular organ.
- Inspection is carried out in disposable gloves. Previously, the finger is lubricated with grease to facilitate its passage into the anus. Nails need to be cut, as they can injure the mucous membrane or pierce an existing cyst.
- The man carefully inserts the index finger into the rectum through circular rotations. If any formations, seals, nodules or surface irregularities are felt, then this indicates the pathology of the prostate.
- The prostate is located in the upper part of the rectum. Press it gently and gently. Any sudden movement leads to discomfort, but the state of the organ cannot be determined.
Examination at home is not carried out to diagnose prostatitis - it is impossible to make a diagnosis correctly. Such actions help detect cysts, hemorrhoids, anal warts and other neoplasms.
Important: during a home examination with pressure on the prostate, pain should not be present. If pain and severe discomfort are observed, a doctor should be visited.
Normally, the rectal mucosa is soft, smooth and even, any tuberosity and unevenness should be absent. If this is not so, this indicates the development of a pathological process.
How do proctologists test the prostate in men in modern ways?
You can check the prostate gland with a doctor because of a routine examination, if a man complains of alarming symptoms or is at risk for the development of adenoma of the glandular organ or prostatitis.
It is impossible to independently diagnose inflammation of the prostate, since this requires laboratory and instrumental diagnostic methods. You can be checked at any medical center.
How to check for prostatitis? First of all, the doctor examines the genital organ visually for the presence of a rash, hyperemia, discharge from the urethral canal - this allows you to suspect sexually transmitted infections. Then rectal palpation is performed.
Next, the patient will need to pass tests - the list is determined in each case individually. In some cases, an ultrasound scan is required. If there is a suspicion of a tumor, cancer, and other pathologies of the male organ, then the doctor may recommend a biopsy.
Visual and rectal methods of research
Many men are interested in how they check for prostatitis. Unfortunately, this pathology at the initial stages of development rarely indicates itself with negative symptoms. Only a small percentage of patients feel discomfort at the initial stage of the disease.
When visiting a urologist, a visual examination of the penis is mandatory: the condition of the skin, the presence / absence of pathological rashes, the condition of the foreskin, etc. are evaluated.
For information, a visual examination of the genital organ in prostate pathologies in men is an uninformative method.
A more reliable way to evaluate the prostate gland is the rectal method, so to speak, allowing you to check the "prostatitis" from the inside.To do this, the man takes a comfortable position: lie on his side, while the knees are slightly bent or take a knee-elbow pose.
With a finger technique, the doctor identifies the following organ parameters:
- Prostate size
- The symmetry of the lobules,
- Organ resilience
- The degree of prostate displacement.
To facilitate the diagnostic process, the doctor must lubricate the index finger with special grease. Before the procedure, it is recommended to empty the bladder.
Palpation of the prostate is a fairly informative method that allows you to give a preliminary assessment of the organ during diagnosis by touch. After this manipulation, laboratory tests are prescribed.
To make the correct diagnosis, it is necessary to check the prostate in men “from all sides”, therefore, studies of urine and blood are carried out in the laboratory. They are needed for differential, that is, distinctive diagnostics - they differentiate pathologies from each other.
Tests for prostate testing:
- Thanks to a general blood test, you can establish the inflammatory process, as well as the course of the pathology - viral or bacterial.
- A urinalysis provides evidence of abnormalities in the glandular organ - if gland epithelial cells are found in urine. It is also possible to detect inflammation in the genitourinary system.
- The study of a smear on the microflora diagnoses sexually transmitted pathologies that can affect the tissues of the male organ.
It is worth knowing: as an additional study, it is recommended to check the hormonal status, since prostate adenoma often develops due to hormonal imbalance in the body.
To identify certain organ pathologies, it is required to examine prostatic juice. The delivery of this analysis is as follows: the doctor performs a massage of the gland according to a certain technique, as a result of which the necessary secret is secreted from the urethral channel in a man. It is applied to a glass slide and sent for further study to the laboratory.
Prostate secretion rate:
- White color,
- Thick consistency
- pH balance is shifted to the acid side,
- Atypical cells, fungi, macrophages, amyloid bodies - not found in high concentration,
- Lecithin grains are present.
In case of violation of the functionality of the glandular organ, the indicators with which the prostatic juice is checked deviate from the norm.
If you suspect a malignant pathology of the gland, a PSA analysis is done. If the organ is healthy, then the value is not more than 3-4 ng / ml, when the level increases, then this indicates hyperplasia or oncology of the internal organ.
A biopsy is the most reliable way to diagnose malignant cells in the soft tissues of the prostate gland. This histological examination allows you to make a diagnosis with an accuracy of 100%.
Fact: the study of biopsy (gland tissue) helps to differentiate oncology and adenoma, to establish the stage of the revealed pathology.
- Biological tissue is taken through the rectum, urethra or abdominal wall,
- Cells for further study are taken from several points of the organ.
A biopsy is also used in the treatment of cancer of the glandular organ. The biopsy sample allows you to determine the effectiveness of the prescribed therapy, respectively, you can adjust the treatment in time.
Examination of the prostate gland is necessary at the first sign of impaired organ functionality. Not all can be examined with palpation, so the diagnosis is always complex.
Determining the Prostate Health Index
It involves blood sampling for further laboratory research. Detects all forms of prostatitis, as well as the presence of benign and malignant tumors.This is the most modern diagnostic method, which allows in 26% of cases to exclude the need for a biopsy fraught with complications.
For more information on determining the prostate health index, click here.
How to check the prostate at home?
Doctors do not recommend self-diagnosis, but you can independently check the prostate gland at home.
First of all, you need to prepare for the procedure. For this:
- empty your intestines naturally or give an enema,
- cut your fingernails
- wash your hands thoroughly with soap,
- put a surgical glove on your right hand.
Now you can begin to check the status of the prostate gland. Act like that.
- Lubricate the index finger with petroleum jelly or intimate lubricant.
- Slowly and without sudden movements, insert the index finger into the rectum.
- Try to find the gland. To the touch, the prostate resembles a ball.
- Palpation examination involves careful palpation of the prostate with slow movements, slightly massaging the gland.
We indicated the signs of deviations above. If they are found, you must immediately consult a doctor.
To determine the nature of the infectious disease, it is necessary to examine a smear from the urethra. Without fail, the patient submits an analysis of prostate secretion to the laboratory. To check the prostate and get a secret, it is necessary to conduct a rectal diagnosis. In the process of examining a patient, it is undesirable to have a sexual life. If the obtained test results were uninformative, then it is necessary to send the patient for a blood test for PSA. Using this analysis, the doctor examines the level of protein in the blood. If this substance is in large quantities, then this indicates that a serious pathology develops in the body - it can be either a tumor or cancerous growths. In some cases, a strong inflammatory process is determined by specific markers.
How is the prostate checked by instrumental methods?
There are several instrumental methods for examining the prostate gland that will help identify any abnormalities in the functioning of the organ. Diagnostics is carried out using:
If a narrowing of the urethra has occurred, then with the help of cystoscopy and urethroscopy this can be diagnosed. If the urethra has narrowed, then this indicates that degenerative changes in the tissues of the prostate develop. In frequent cases, such a pathology can be diagnosed at the initial stage of development. Many men are interested in which doctor checks the prostate in men? Not everyone knows that a urologist treats prostatitis and other male diseases. To evaluate the functioning of the bladder, the doctor performs a cystoscopy.
What will the ultrasound show?
Thanks to ultrasound diagnostics, it is possible to determine structural changes in the prostate gland and assess the degree of narrowing of the bladder canals. Assessing the density of the prostate, the doctor distinguishes the adenoma from a cancerous tumor. To determine the size of all the organs of the small pelvis and to check the prostate, it is necessary to take an x-ray. With the help of such a study, metastases that often occur with the development of a cancerous tumor can be detected.
Why is prostatography performed?
Using the x-ray method for diagnosing the prostate gland, one can evaluate the functioning of the organ and the general condition of the gland. During the diagnosis, the doctor uses a special fluid. It is necessary in order to create contrast. This diagnostic method consists in examining not only prostatitis, but also prostate adenoma. This procedure does not require particularly careful preparation. A man just needs to empty his bladder before the examination.Many are interested in how a urologist checks the prostate in men? In addition to finger examination, prostatography can be performed.
In the process of prostatography, it is necessary to introduce a contrast fluid into the bladder using a special catheter. If necessary, a contrast agent is introduced into the tissue of the prostate. For this, the specialist uses injections or a syringe. After the substance has entered the body, it begins to be distributed throughout the body. After a while, the patient is examined using an x-ray machine. During the study, the doctor assesses blood circulation. The x-ray is carried out in several positions. In the process of this diagnostic method, the doctor determines whether there are stagnant processes, and how the blood moves through the prostate. If the specialist has identified deviations, then it is necessary to send the patient to another diagnostic study. First of all, it is important to analyze PSA.
Under what circumstances is it forbidden to examine a patient through the anus?
Not in all cases there is the possibility of palpation of the prostate, since there are contraindications to the use of this diagnostic method. Which include: hemorrhoids, tuberculosis, cracks in the anus. If the patient has hemorrhoids, then it is forbidden to examine the prostate gland through the anus using instrumental methods. As this can damage the mucous membrane of the hole. As a result, hemorrhoidal nodes become inflamed and increase in size. To prevent this, it is important to carefully diagnose all diseases of the patient.
For the prevention of prostatitis, there are various methods. Among them:
- taking medication prescribed by a doctor,
- maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- the use of dietary supplements,
- diet therapy
- folk remedies,
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- regular sex life
- sports and physiotherapy exercises.
The most effective way to prevent prostatitis without taking medication is physiotherapy. Positive effects on the prostate gland have:
- vibratory organ massage,
- warming up
- IR therapy
The maximum effect is observed with simultaneous exposure to the pelvic organs in all four directions. This is how the innovative Smart-Prost apparatus created by us works. Regular procedures in clinical or home settings:
- improves blood flow in the body,
- relieves inflammatory processes and prevents their appearance,
- reduces the number of leukocytes in the secretion of the prostate,
- increases libido
- improves potency
- enhances orgasmic sensations,
- relieves pain
- normalizes urination.
The feasibility of using the physiotherapeutic device developed by us is clinically proven. The effectiveness of the fight against prostatitis with the use of Smart-Prost is increased by 42%.
You can order an innovative vibratory massager by phone or by going to the main page. Before using Smart-Prost for the prevention of prostatitis at home, consult your doctor.
Varieties of ultrasound examination of the prostate gland
Many do not know how to check the prostate in men? Ultrasound is the diagnostic method that will identify the inflammatory process in the pelvic area and help determine other parameters of the gland.
A doctor can examine the prostate gland using several types of studies. These include:
- Transrectal method. In the process of such diagnostics, a special sensor is inserted into the anus of the patient by several centimeters. The sensor head is lubricated with a special substance and coated with a protective film. In the process of diagnosis, there is no severe pain, there is only slight discomfort.This research method allows you to evaluate the functioning of the prostate gland, the shape and size of the organ.
- The transabdominal method. In the process of examining the prostate gland, the sensor does not need to be inserted into the anus of the patient. It is enough to apply a special gel on the lower abdomen of the patient and drive on it with a sensor, examining all sides of the organ.
- The transurethral diagnostic method is carried out least often. During the procedure, the patient has a strong painful sensation, so many doctors recommend taking an anesthetic before the procedure.
Experts say that this research method is less reliable than others. Depending on the individual characteristics of the patient and the general state of health of the patient, the doctor prescribes a specific type of ultrasound. How to check the prostate yourself? At home, it is impossible to diagnose.
Preventive measures: doctors recommend
Any disease is easier to prevent than to cure. For this reason, it is important to regularly see a doctor. Checking the prostate in men does not take much time. In addition, experts argue that lifestyle plays an important role. In order to prevent the development of prostatitis, you need to eat right. Thanks to useful products (vegetables and fruits), the body receives all the necessary vitamins and minerals, so it can resist the harmful bacteria that often affect the prostate gland.
After numerous studies, doctors have proven that nicotine adversely affects the functioning of the prostate and disrupts its functioning. Urologists recommend moving more, because a low-activity lifestyle provokes the appearance of a stagnant process, as a result of which the prostate gland can become inflamed and significantly increase in size.
It is not recommended to frequently change the sexual partner. It is recommended to use contraceptive methods. As the numerous practice of urologists shows, the most common cause of prostatitis and prostate adenoma is an infectious disease that was transmitted through unprotected sexual intercourse. If one of the signs of the disease appears, it is important to consult a doctor immediately and undergo a thorough examination. Before checking a man’s prostate gland, the doctor looks at the patient’s card and assesses his general health. At the initial stage of the development of the disease, treatment is carried out using the drug method. At the subsequent stages of the development of the disease, the problem can only be solved surgically.
Do I need to prepare for an ultrasound?
Before the procedure, you must consult your doctor. In frequent cases, there is no special preparation for ultrasound diagnostics. There are only a few recommendations that can help simplify the process. These include:
- Before checking for prostatitis, it is advisable not to consume carbonated drinks and products that provoke bloating, since an enlarged organ can block the image transmitted to a specialist’s monitor.
- Do not have sex the day before the study, as this can provoke an enlargement of the prostate gland.
- If the ultrasound is performed by the transurethral method, then it is necessary to take painkillers, since during the procedure unpleasant sensations can occur.
Before you check the prostate gland, it is imperative to consult with a urologist. A timely visit to a doctor will help prevent the onset of diseases.