Candidiasis balanoposthitis in men: how and what to treat?
One of the common varieties of balanoposthitis is caused by Candida.
This type of disease can occur after antibiotic treatment, surgery, allergies to medications, food, detergents.
For treatment, it is necessary to combine antifungal drugs with immunostimulants and vitamin complexes.
You will need to make adjustments to the diet and strictly follow the doctor’s instructions.
In this article, you will get acquainted with the treatment and photos of candidal balanoposthitis in men.
Causes and symptoms
Balanoposthitis is an inflammatory disease that affects the inner leaf of the foreskin. Often accompanied by urethritis and balanitis, as well as other inflammation in the genitourinary system. The cause of the disease is Candida fungus.
The disease can be presented in an acute form, in which symptoms appear quickly.
In more rare cases, a chronic form develops, with it characteristic signs appear a few months after infection.
The acute form of balanoposthitis is much easier to treat, the latent stage is characterized by frequent relapses that weaken the patient's natural immunity.
The emergence and development of candida balanitis affects a whole range of reasons. The most common include:
- the effects of antibiotic treatment that weaken the immune system,
- long-term use of hormones,
- autoimmune diseases
- obesity or overweight,
- insufficient genital hygiene,
- congenital phimosis,
- dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin diseases,
- allergic reaction to food, detergents, medicines,
- mechanical damage to the foreskin and glans penis,
- unprotected sex with a partner suffering from candidal vaginitis.
In this case, the treatment is lengthened, but timely diagnosis can completely relieve unpleasant symptoms of balanoposthitis and prevent relapses.
Candida fungus is quite active and characteristic symptoms appear within a few days after the onset of the disease. In the early days, the patient notes an increase in the amount of smegma under the foreskin, itching and general feeling uncomfortable. For developing candidiasis is characterized by:
- copious grayish or cloudy-white curdled discharge with an unpleasant odor,
- burning during urination
- swelling of the glans penis,
- redness, red spots and a rash on the skin,
- wounds and scuffs,
- pain during intercourse.
If untreated, the symptoms become more pronounced.
Allocations increase, they become especially plentiful after sexual intercourse.
The unpleasant odor from the genitals becomes more noticeable, it disappears after a shower, but after a couple of hours it returns again.
The patient's lymph nodes are enlarged, fever, interruptions in sleep and appetite are possible.
There are complications in the form of cicatricial phimosis and copious white discharge from the urethra.
In a neglected form, necrosis, painful erosion of a bright red color are possible.
Candidiasis balanoposthitis in men: treatment and prevention
How to treat candidal balanoposthitis in men? During treatment, special attention should be paid to hygiene. It is necessary to wash the penis and perineum several times a day with warm water and a neutral soap or gel. The slightest infection can cause a relapse. Do not use flavored bath gels or foams that can cause irritation.
It is necessary to change linen daily, using only hypoallergenic powders and gels for washing that do not irritate the skin. The underwear should be sized, panties made of high-quality cotton knitwear are preferred.
What to treat?
Treatment of candidal balanoposthitis in men should begin after the first signs.
After visiting the therapist, the patient receives a referral to a urologist and undergoes a series of tests confirming the nature of the disease.
It is important to exclude the presence of sexually transmitted infections that require special treatment.
If the cause of the disease is phimosis, a prompt solution to the problem is recommended, after which antifungal and restorative therapy is performed.
How to treat candidal balanoposthitis in men? With simple balanoposthitis, the patient is prescribed a complex of antimycotic drugs in the form of tablets, capsules, ointments and creams. They are supplemented with immunostimulating and antimicrobial agents, as well as vitamins.
Every day, the patient takes baths with a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate, furacilin, dioxidine. Water should not be too hot, the procedure lasts 5-7 minutes.
During the bath, the foreskin needs to be moved so that water penetrates into the area where the secretions accumulate.
Clotrimazole or Lamisil therapeutic ointments are suitable for removing the fungus. They are applied in a thin layer under the foreskin and on the glans penis, rubbing until completely absorbed. Processing is done in the morning and evening, the course is designed for 2 weeks.
Powder with dermatol, streptocide and xenoform will help to dry the inflammation.
At the same time as external drugs, oral medications are being taken. Fluconazole with an enhanced antifungal effect is well established. Up to 150 mg of the drug is taken per day, washed down with plenty of water. It is undesirable to use antibiotics, but with acute inflammation, tetracycline or penicillin preparations are sometimes used.
The therapeutic complex includes vitamin preparations, strengthening immunity and accelerating recovery. The patient needs vitamins A, C, E, B, amino acids, potassium, magnesium and zinc. Immunomodulators in the form of capsules and tablets will help restore normal microflora.
Traditional medicine: what to choose?
Candida balanoposthitis can also be treated with drugs prepared according to alternative recipes.
In the treatment of candidal balanoposthitis in men at home, medicinal herbs with antibacterial, wound healing, soothing and regenerating effects are actively used: pharmacy chamomile, nettle, yarrow, calendula, eucalyptus or hypericum leaves.
A handful of raw materials is brewed with 2 liters of boiling water, infused, filtered and used for warm or cool baths. They relieve swelling well, soothe burning and itching. Compresses and lotions with wound healing and soothing effects can be made from the finished broth.
Home ointment will help speed up the tightening of small ulcers and wounds. 1 tbsp. a spoonful of crushed marigold flowers (preferably fresh) is filled with 80 ml of refined vegetable oil. The container is closed with a lid and insisted on the sun for 3 weeks, shaking from time to time. After this, the soaked flowers are filtered and carefully squeezed out. Daily ointment is applied to damaged areas and lightly rubbed. The course lasts until the wounds are completely healed.
You can treat skin lesions with crushed leaves of plantain, lotions with freshly squeezed juice of agave, Kalanchoe or aloe. Tampons moistened in juice are applied to the wounds for 4 hours, the course lasts 7-10 days.
Raw materials taken in equal parts are mixed in a separate container. 2 tbsp. tablespoons of the mixture is brewed with a glass of boiling water and infused for 40 minutes. After filtering, the infusion is divided into 2 halves. One is drunk during the day before bedtime, the other is used for douching.
Medicinal teas with hawthorn, wild rose, black raspberry and currant leaves will help strengthen immunity. They can be drunk for several months, adding a little liquid honey to taste.
It is necessary to supplement the treatment of candida balanoposthitis with a low-calorie diet, rich in vegetables and fruits. It is necessary to abandon smoked meats, pickles, marinades, hot spices and alcohol. It is undesirable to eat yeast bread, pastries, sweets. You need to drink more, including in your daily diet green tea, homemade fruit drinks and freshly squeezed juices that remove toxins and strengthen the immune system. Non-fat sour-milk products that normalize microflora are very useful.
Is it possible to refuse treatment?
Inflammation caused by Candida fungi is not too dangerous.
However, it does not pass on its own. If untreated, malaise takes a chronic form.
Acute burning sensations and itching alternate with periods of rest, when the patient feels completely healthy. However, symptoms necessarily return, with periods of recession shortening over time.
Lack of treatment can provoke the spread of inflammation to other organs.
When Candida is detected, both partners must be treated, otherwise the fungus will be constantly transmitted and the disease in a pair will become chronic. During treatment, only sex with barrier contraceptives is possible, it is advisable to temporarily reduce the intensity of sexual activity.
Treatment of candida balanoposthitis is a long process, which can not be abandoned. In the absence of therapy, the disease can become chronic, and the patient is at risk for complications. There is a huge range of effective drugs for treatment; only a doctor can choose the right ones.
What causes the disease in men
Based on clinical studies, it was found that about 70% of the male population of the globe suffer from this disease. The causative factors for its occurrence are many. They are classified into: primary and secondary.
- Sexual relations with a partner, whose genital tract is affected by thrush.
- The presence in the male body of latent infectious processes, chlamydia, gonorrhea.
- High blood sugar. The mechanism of development of balanoposthitis in diabetes mellitus is that a person suffers from excessive body weight, and, consequently, excessive sweating. All this contributes to the active reproduction of pathogenic microflora, including fungi.
- Uncontrolled intake of antibiotics. This results in resistance (addiction) to the drug, as well as to a weakening of the immune status. This is a very important etiological factor, because in men it is not easy to treat candidal balanoposthitis in this situation.
- Abuse of alcoholic and low alcohol drinks.
- Phimosis is a pathological process characterized by a narrowing of the foreskin.
- Stress factor and insufficient intake of vitamins in the body provokes the development of chronic candida balanoposthitis.
- Neglect of hygiene rules.
- Skin diseases.
- Genetic factor.
The clinical picture of the disease
The simple form of acute balanoposthitis is characterized by the most mild manifestations. Visually detected hyperemia (redness), swelling and wet softening of the tissues of the foreskin. Less commonly, ulcers can be seen. Then the patient begins to complain of discomfort (itching, burning) and pain during the urination process. On palpation, pain is also felt when the urologist attempts to move the foreskin.
In acute candidal balanoposthitis of an erosive form, a white coating always forms on the foreskin and the head of the male genital organ, and also the death of epithelial tissues occurs. In the affected area, painful, bright red erosion appears.
If you do not start to treat this form during time, you can get such a complication as phimosis of the foreskin. On palpation, very often, an increase and tenderness of the inguinal lymph nodes is diagnosed.
The gangrenous form is characterized by the appearance of deep erosion, covered with purulent-necrotic plaque. Organ tissues look edematous and hyperemic. Erosion causes the patient pain not only when urinating, but also in contact with underwear. The patient's general condition worsens. There is a fever, general weakness, performance is lost. The temperature of the body rises, blood pressure and pulse increases. This form is the heaviest. It requires immediate treatment. The examination and treatment of the patient should be done by a urologist.
If candidal balanoposthitis has a chronic form of the course, then the disease manifests itself with the following symptoms:
- When inductive, the clinical picture is that the skin covering the glans penis, and the foreskin itself begins to dry out. This subsequently leads to painful wrinkling of the organ.
- With an ulcerative-hypertrophic form, a large number of nonhealing erosions appear on the structures of the male genital organ. If the disease has not been treated for a long time, then the tissues of the foreskin are perforated in some places. In more severe cases, gangrenous death of parts of the male genital organ is observed.
Treatment of candidiasis balanoposthitis in a man is possible at home, and in a clinic. But, in no case, you can not self-medicate. The treatment process should always be accompanied by a consultation with a urologist. Only a doctor, based on the results of diagnostic tests, is able to prescribe the right course of treatment.
First of all, balanoposthitis therapy should be aimed at eliminating the cause of the disease. Only after this, local, symptomatic treatment is prescribed. The cause of the disease are fungi of the genus Candida, therefore, agents are appointed that can destroy them. These funds for men act locally and are available in the form of ointments or gels.
Ointments for the treatment of candidal balanoposthitis in men:
One of these funds is applied to the affected area of the penis, and to the nearby area. Preliminarily, the organ is washed with a soda solution (1 teaspoon of baking soda is dissolved in a glass of warm water) and wait until the tissues dry.
During treatment, sexual intercourse is excluded. Great importance is given to genital hygiene and plaque removal.
If the patient consulted a doctor at the initial signs of the disease, then local therapy is prescribed. It consists in washing the tissues of the penis with ordinary, running water and disinfectants: Chlorhexidine, Furacilin. Flushing should be done several times a day (4-5). In this case, after each procedure, it is better to change underwear. If there is erosion, then baths with potassium permanganate are additionally prescribed.
If erosion is diagnosed on the tissues of the organ, it is necessary to prescribe means that accelerate healing: Bepanten, Dexpanthenol, etc. With an erosive and gangrenous form, antibiotics and sulfonamides are additionally prescribed. In order to heal faster, vitamin therapy and immunity enhancing agents are indicated.
If phimosis became the cause of the disease, then the only treatment will be surgery, supplemented by antifungal therapy.
Of the herbal remedies for the treatment of candidal balanoposthitis in men, they use:
- Compresses from aloe leaves. Leaves should be without thorns. On one side, cut off the peel and fit the sheet to the affected area for 15 minutes. The procedure is carried out daily, at least 2 times a day.
- Compresses from the leaves of plantain. The leaves are washed, wrinkled for a while in the hands, so that the juice begins to appear. Fit on the affected area for 30 minutes. At the beginning of treatment, the procedure is repeated with an interval of 4 hours.After the inflammatory process begins to subside, the procedure is less common.
- Trays of decoction of St. John's wort or oak bark. The solution should be at room temperature.
Not so active, but strong antimicrobial herbs are: calendula, eucalyptus and sage.
The consequences of untreated balanoposthitis
If the treatment process was started late, or if the treatment was not carried out correctly, the following complications are possible:
- Effect on the receptor apparatus of the glans penis. This leads to loss of sensitivity and impaired sexual function. The patient suffers from potency, does not experience orgasm.
- The development of urethritis - an inflammatory process in the urethra. This disease is characterized by sharp pains, pain during urination and the deposition of purulent secretion in the urethra.
- Compaction or deformation of the tissues of the penis, which leads to infringement of the head of the organ.
- The development of oncology.
- The development of lymphogenitis is an inflammatory process that affects the vessels of the penis and inguinal lymph nodes. This pathological process leads to gangrene, and, subsequently, to the amputation of the male genital organ.
At home, both pharmacy and herbal medicine are used. However, if within 3 days the symptoms of the disease do not fade away, but only become stronger, then you need to seek specialized help without delay, otherwise serious consequences for the body are possible.
What it is
The folds of skin covering the head of the penis and urethra on the outside serve to protect the penis from contamination and damage, as well as to ensure sexual activity.
That is why any inflammation of the foreskin in men is often perceived as an alarming situation requiring immediate resolution.
For the occurrence of balanoposthitis, two conditions are always necessary - the presence of infection and weakened immunity. Pathogenic microbes can enter the skin of the penis either with urine through the opening of the urethra, or with blood and lymph from those organs in which they are constantly present (carious teeth, adenoids, etc.).
- Pathogens of specific infectious diseases - tuberculosis bacilli, gonococci, pale spirochetes, protozoa. Therefore, the patient with a diagnosis of trichomonas, tuberculosis or syphilitic balanoposthitis treatment of the underlying disease is carried out in the first place.
- Nonspecific microbes - bacteria (staphylococci, protea, Escherichia), herpes simplex and human papilloma viruses, as well as candida fungi, chlamydia, ureaplasma.
Causes and predisposing factors
For the development of the pathological process, only microbes are not enough, it is necessary to have a violation of the natural balance of the microflora of the genital organs.
Occur at the following adverse circumstances:
- poor personal hygiene or a complete absence of such a man for a long time,
- microtrauma of the head and foreskin due to excessive cleanliness, frequent masturbation,
- allergic reactions to detergents, ointments, lubricants, etc.,
- chronic systemic diseases - hypothyroidism, metabolic syndrome, diabetes,
- the presence of phimosis (severe narrowing of the flesh),
- hormone imbalance in the body of a man,
- pathology of the urinary system - pyelonephritis, urolithiasis, etc.,
- acquired immunodeficiencies that appear after chemotherapy, starvation, radiation exposure, hypothermia, taking immunosuppressants, treatment with antibiotics or other drugs,
- HIV, cancer, liver cirrhosis, autoimmune inflammation (lupus, scleroderma).
With balanoposthitis in men treatment will be effective after eliminating the common causes that weaken the body's resistance to microbes, and local factors that facilitate the penetration of infection into the external genitalia.
Bacterial balanitis and post
The causative agents of this disease are pyogenic microorganisms, more often it is strepto - and staphylococci. Inflammation leaking quite heavyo with severe intoxication (headache and muscle pain, fever, malaise). Against the background of the edematous and reddened head and skin of the flesh, pustules appear, in the absence of proper therapy, fibrous tissue grows over time and the sensitivity of the penis decreases.
Candidiasis balanoposthitis in men is the most common form of the disease. Symptoms of inflammation appear when the body's defenses are weakened in the form spots and hyperemia foreskin and head, burning pain during emptying of the bladder and with coition, cheesy discharge and an off-white coating with a sour smell. In untreated cases, complications develop (urethritis, cystitis, prostatitis). What is a fungal inflammation of the foreskin, many urologist patients know, leading not quite the right way of life.
This form of the disease chronically most often caused by the herpes simplex virus type 2, which is inside the cells until the person’s immunity is weakened for several reasons.
In the clinic, a rash in the form of a group of vesicles on a reddened background draws attention, the vesicles open in a few days, erosion and small sores on the foreskin in men form, then they dry out and become crusty.
Itching and tingling on the scalp before the appearance of rashes are characteristic, severe pain not only during sex and urination, but also at rest. Another cause of a viral disease may be HPV (human papillomavirus), while in the clinic, typical is not erosive balanoposthitis, but genital warts, which are subject to surgical treatment.
It is transmitted only with unprotected coitus, and the infection passes to the skin of the head of the penis from the urethra. Symptoms of the disease - white discharge, pain and burning during the act of urination, the appearance of small foci of inflammation on the surface of the penis. Pathology is contagious, therefore, in a patient with a diagnosis of chlamydial balanoposthitis, treatment should be carried out immediately to avoid the development of serious complications (prostatitis, vesiculitis, etc.).
By the nature of the course, several varieties of balanoposthitis are distinguished.
Acute form the disease occurs in the following options:
- catarrhal inflammation - there is redness and swelling of the head, friability of the foreskin,
- erosive balanoposthitis - tissue damage reaches the degree of erosion, which cause sharp pain during sexual intercourse and urination, are often accompanied by the development of phimosis and regional lymphadenitis,
- gangrenous process - severe purulent-necrotic inflammation with the formation of ulcerative defects and sites of necrosis, the patient will have a fever and intoxication, the treatment is long.
Chronic illness lasts for years with alternating exacerbations and remissions, is ultimately implemented in one of two options:
- inductive process - the penis head is wrinkled,
- ulcerative hypertrophic inflammation - long-lasting non-healing deep sores on the foreskin in men lead to cicatricial deformity body.
What is balanoposthitis
In the body of each person there are “useful” fungi, but their number decreases or increases under certain conditions. Violation of microflora leads to various diseases, one of which is balanoposthitis. The disease causes severe itching, pain in the foreskin and the glans penis. Untimely treatment can lead to phimosis, paraphimosis and other serious deviations.
Balanoposthitis is usually divided into three forms: simple, erosive and chronic. As you might guess, the simplest form of the disease is considered the easiest. It does not cause strong changes in the body and lends itself well to drug therapy. The erosive type worries a person much more, since bleeding ulcers and even gangrene appear. In addition, the ailment negatively affects the general condition. Chronic fungal balanoposthitis in men is characterized by the onset of the disease 3-5 times a year. It leads to kidney inflammation, prostatitis, infertility, gangrene of the penis and malignant tumors.
|Caused by opportunistic bacteria||The cause is chlamydia, which is sexually transmitted||The culprit of the disease is the herpes virus||It is a subspecies of chlamydial balanoposthitis. May develop with Reiter's disease.||Triggered by a fungal infection|
|The main symptom is a sticky coating that has an unpleasant odor.||Red spots are rarely accompanied by pain, but cause swelling of the mucous membranes||Penis and skin around are covered with pimples that produce clear fluid.||On the head of the penis, spots are formed that have the same shape and a clear contour||Itching is accompanied by redness of the mucous membranes, profuse curd secretions|
The most likely causes of the disease are prolonged use of antibiotics or hormonal drugs. The fungus can be the result of autoimmune pathologies, excess weight and diabetes. The following provocative factors are also distinguished:
- Neglect of personal hygiene
- congenital phimosis,
- skin pathologies (eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis),
- allergic to medicines, clothing, cosmetics or food,
- constant friction of the genitals on clothing or other mechanical damage,
- frequent changes in sexual partners and sexually transmitted diseases.
The first symptoms of the disease
It is not possible to miss the onset of the disease, a man is accompanied by constant discomfort. At first, redness of the foreskin appears, but not everyone pays attention to it. Further, other symptoms are manifested: swelling of the penis, burning sensation during urination, intolerable itching. Discharge from the penis has a whitish hue and an unpleasant odor, often resembling cottage cheese. Sexual intercourse and any touch on the body cause severe pain.
An advanced form of pathology is characterized by the formation of wounds and ulcers on the surface, which are clearly visible in the photo, as well as inflammation of the lymph nodes in the inguinal region. After sexual intercourse or visiting the toilet, white fluid is released from the penis, there is a strong burning sensation and bleeding from the wounds. The skin on the genitals becomes rough with a whitish coating. The general condition noticeably worsens: the temperature rises, signs of intoxication appear, lymph nodes throughout the body increase. A person feels constant fatigue and chills.
Diagnosis of the disease
Proper treatment of balanoposthitis begins with the doctor’s premises. A venereologist or urologist will help get rid of the disease, you may have to visit an endocrinologist (if the pathology is caused by autoimmune diseases). The doctor will conduct an examination, ask a few questions in order to identify provoking factors. You will also have to pass the following tests:
- General blood analysis. It is considered a standard procedure and is prescribed for any disease. It is possible to identify the number of leukocytes and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). If the indicators differ from the norm, then the inflammatory process proceeds in the patient's body.
- Analysis of urine. General analysis is another standard procedure necessary for making a diagnosis. White blood cells are also present in the urine, an increased level of which signals inflammation in the internal organs. A bacteriological analysis is also given, with which you can establish the pathogen.
- PCR (polymerase chain reaction). Research is needed to clarify the type of pathogen.
- Scraping from the urethra. Material sampling is required to exclude or confirm syphilis, as well as other sexually transmitted infections.
Often, a specialist takes smears and crops to choose a more suitable antibiotic. These diagnostic methods give an almost one hundred percent result and are extremely rarely erroneous. It is necessary to be examined not only for the sick person, but also for his sexual partner. It is strongly recommended that sexual intercourse be avoided during therapy. Firstly, it is necessary for the rapid healing of erosion, and secondly, to eliminate the risk of occurrence in women.
General principles of treatment
To successfully get rid of the problem and improve the quality of life of the patient, you first need to establish the cause of its occurrence. With symptoms of inflammation of the glans penis you need to contact a urologist or andrologist. Before treating balanoposthitis in men, the patient is usually offered a medical institution make an examination:
- general clinical analysis of urine and peripheral blood,
- seeding for bacteriuria and determination of sensitivity to antibacterial drugs,
- study of scraping from the urethra for specific infections (trichomoniasis, syphilis),
- PCR analysis for sexually transmitted diseases.
With a mild course of balanoposthitis home treatment it is usually enough for a complete recovery, provided that the patient follows all the recommendations of the doctor. The basis is considered to be local conservative therapy - these are lotions, baths, applications with ointments on the area of the head of the penis. They always begin with strict daily compliance by a man with hygiene rules. Be sure to make baths with a pink solution of potassium permanganate or furatsilina, they can be alternated with decoctions of antiseptic plants (a string, chamomile flowers, calendula, St. John's wort, oak bark). These procedures are carried out up to 5-6 times a day for 3-5 days. If necessary, then apply ointment dressings, the choice of drug for local treatment depends on the cause of the pathology. With a simple uncomplicated inflammation of the head and flesh, sometimes just good hygiene is enough.
With candida variety Diseases use different antifungal ointments and creams, for example, Clotrimazole, Nizoral, Terbinafine, Miconazole or others.
The drug is applied in a thin layer to the affected areas after washing (medical bath) and drying. There are forms in the form of a spray, for example, Lamisil, which irrigate the skin of the head of the penis for 2 seconds twice a day for a couple of weeks.
Fortunately, with candidal balanoposthitis in men treatment is successful In most cases.
Suppression of viral activity carried out by means of Acyclovir, which are prescribed to the patient both locally in the form of creams and ointments on the head and foreskin, and inside. In addition, immunostimulating drug therapy is indicated only as prescribed by the doctor. The dose and duration of treatment for this disease is determined by the doctor.
Purulent diseases always require antibiotics. For example, Levomekol ointment with balanoposthitis has a pronounced antimicrobial effect due to the composition of Chloramphenicol (Levomycetin) and has a regenerating (healing) effect due to the other component Methyluracil. Dressings with this medicine are applied to the glans penis and foreskin overnight daily for 5 days. There are other local antibacterial agents that are used as directed by a specialist.
A mild form of fungal balanoposthitis can be treated in a short period of time, but things are not so good with the chronic type.In all cases, pathology is treated with fluconazole-based agents, which is what the specialist should prompt after diagnosis. Modern drugs can get rid of the disease with just one tablet, sometimes you need to take the medicine again after 7-14 days.
For the treatment of candidal balanoposthitis at the initial stage of the disease, it is enough to observe the rules of personal hygiene and treat the affected area with antiseptics. The most effective of them are Chlorhexidine, Furatsilin, Rivanol. The procedure is carried out about four times a day. The antifungal creams: Clotrimazole or Lamisil will relieve pain, itching and burning. They are used 2-3 times a day after water procedures, the course of treatment is up to two weeks. It is equally important to identify and exclude provoking factors, so that the pathology does not return after a while.
Treatment of severe and chronic forms
How to treat balanoposthitis mixed or unclear etiology?
Severe inflammatory process responds well to therapy combined medicineshaving antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal effects - Triderm, Akriderm GK.
Peptic ulcer and erosive balanoposthitis are always treated not only with local drugs, but also with systemic drugs.
These are broad-spectrum antibiotics from the group of penicillins, cephalosporins (Ceftriaxone), fluoroquinolones (Ciprofloxacin), macrolides (Azithromycin).
With anaerobic flora, metronidazole is effective. All drugs are selected according to the sensitivity of the detected pathogens. If necessary, a man is corrected for sugar levels, stopping allergic reactions, symptoms of skin diseases, etc.
Prevention of balanitis and fasting is the regular observance by a man of simple rules of personal hygiene. It is very important to timely sanitize all chronic foci in the body, use barrier contraception for sexual relations with random people, exercise, eat right and give up bad habits. Only with this lifestyle you can not find out what it is balanoposthitis in men.
What type of treatment do you prefer?
The more severe form requires complex treatment at home, which consists in treating the penis with antiseptic solutions, applying antifungal agents, or taking these drugs internally. The most effective is fluconazole, which destroys fungal cells. Often it is necessary to take a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics, but you cannot do this without a doctor’s prescription.
Dry the sores on the penis with various powders with dermatol, streptocide or xeroform. In case of severe pain, it is allowed to take a tablet of a painkiller, but you should not get carried away with them. Vitamin complexes will accelerate recovery: potassium, zinc, vitamins of groups A, B, E and C will positively affect the protective functions of the body.
Chronic candidiasis balanoposthitis in men can be treated surgically or by washing with hydrogen peroxide. Surgery is not a complete therapy, since after it you still need to undergo a course of antibiotics and antifungal medications.
You can not treat the pathology, but you do not need to do this for obvious reasons. The disease progresses rather quickly and becomes chronic. At first glance, the fungus has passed, but the disease will return after some time with renewed vigor. Refusal of therapy or the wrong approach to treatment at home can cause serious consequences. The spread of fungal infection to other organs, prostatitis, vesiculitis, infertility - this is only a small part of the complications of untreated balanoposthitis.
As a means of traditional medicine for the treatment of candidal balanoposthitis, you can try to rinse the genitals with herbal infusions. Calendula, chamomile, nettle or St. John's wort are great. Medicinal plants are brewed with boiling water, left until the liquid is at a comfortable temperature. Then the affected areas are washed (first you need to take a shower) and gently dry the skin with a towel. The broth relieves inflammation and itching, reduces redness and destroys microbes.
Plantain leaves have a healing effect, so lotions with juice are allowed to be applied to the wounds. Kalanchoe and aloe have a good result, the leaf of the last plant needs to be cut into several parts and peeled, and the pulp applied to the sore spots.
It will be possible to increase immunity by brewing tea with rose hips or hawthorn. Just a couple of berries several times a day are able to activate protective functions and prevent relapse of the disease. Drinking them is recommended not only for the disease, but a few months after it.
In order to permanently get rid of such an unpleasant disease as candida balanoposthitis, it is necessary to follow simple rules. Be sure to take a daily shower without using aggressive care products. It is advisable to have only one sexual partner and be interested in his state of health. Sex with women during menstruation or infectious diseases is prohibited, contraception must be used. In addition to this pathology, sexually transmitted infections can cause even more dangerous diseases, such as AIDS or syphilis.
A huge role is played by a man's nutrition during an exacerbation of balanoposthitis. It is not recommended to eat fatty, spicy, smoked, sweet and salty foods. It is advisable to exclude bread, any pastries, alcoholic beverages from the diet before recovery. Natural yogurts have a positive effect on health, so it is better to drink them every day. The following products inhibit the growth of fungi: citrus fruits, lingonberries, garlic, propolis, red hot peppers. Alcohol, coffee and soda should be replaced with green tea, clean water and freshly squeezed juices.
The appearance of redness on the penis or pubis, burning, severe itching and discharge should alert the person and make him visit a specialist. Self-medication does not always lead to the desired result, most often it causes only temporary improvement. Candidiasis balanoposthitis has several forms, the most difficult to treat chronic. Early detection of the disease and timely access to a urologist guarantees successful treatment.
Features of the disease
Some believe that balanitis and balanoposthitis are one and the same thing. However, there is a difference in these pathologies. Balanitis is called the inflammatory process that hit the head of the male penis. With its progression, inflammation can go to the foreskin. In this case, it will be balanoposthitis.
Doctors distinguish several types of balanoposthitis:
- Primary - becomes the result of a violation of personal hygiene. In this case, it is enough for a man to conduct hygienic measures correctly so that the disease recedes.
- Secondary - associated with another disease that should be treated. The cause of this condition can be systemic or endocrine pathologies. Very often balanoposthitis appears in diabetes mellitus.
Regardless of what type of disease is detected, the patient requires complex treatment:
- Reception of antibacterial drugs and immunomodulators.
- Local treatment based on the use of antiseptic solutions, gels, ointments and other topical preparations. Preparations can have a different composition, active substances and have antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-allergic effects.
If it is established that phimosis led to the development of balanoposthitis, the patient is given circumcision.
Treatment of pathology can be quite long and continues until the symptoms and cause of balanoposthitis are completely eliminated. The duration of the course of therapy is affected by the form of the disease, the severity of symptoms and the type of pathogen. Acute balanoposthitis is treated within 2-3 weeks.
About the disease will tell the urologist Junker Oleg Alexandrovich:
Before starting treatment, the patient needs to review the correctness of the hygiene procedures and, together with the sexual partner, be examined for possible STDs. Only after this, the doctor (urologist and venereologist) will be able to prescribe the correct treatment.
If you do not pay attention to the problem in time, the disease can go into a chronic form. Chronic balanoposthitis is much more difficult to treat.
Causes of the disease
All the reasons that can lead to the appearance of balanoposthitis are infectious and non-infectious in nature.
Infectious causes include:
Genital herpes is a viral lesion of the genital mucosa, characterized by the appearance of a group of vesicles, and then erosion and sores
- Herpes is genital.
Among non-infectious causes, there are:
- Irritative balanoposthitis.
- Lichen planus.
Risk factors contributing to the onset of inflammation are:
- The presence of phimosis.
- Failure to comply with hygiene rules.
- Decreased body defenses.
- Allergic diseases.
- The presence of a chronic infection in the body.
- Infections of the genitourinary system (urethritis, cystitis, etc.).
- Promiscuous sexual intercourse.
This is the easiest form of the disease. Its manifestations include:
- Sense of burning and itching. This symptom is considered the very first. When you touch the head of the penis, when urinating or rubbing on clothes, discomfort intensifies.
- Discomfort at the time of opening the head of the penis.
- Redness of the affected area. Thus, the inflammatory process makes itself felt.
The table shows the general and local symptoms, as well as complications of the disease.
- Swelling of the tissues.
- The formation of painful cracks and erosion (erosive balanoposthitis).
- Isolation of pus from the urethra. Thus, purulent balanoposthitis manifests itself.
Balanoposthitis caused by STIs
Symptoms of the disease will depend on the type of pathogen:
- Gonorrhea, in addition to the classic signs of balanoposthitis, is accompanied by urethritis.
- Chlamydial - characterized by clear red spots.
- Trichomonas - pus accumulates under the foreskin. The head swells and turns red.
- Candidiasis is accompanied by itching, burning and pain in the head. After some time, curdled discharge from the urethra appears.
- Herpetic. On the foreskin, bubbles with a transparent liquid inside can be noted. After opening them, red sores appear in this place. Often this type of disease is chronic.
The immunologist Ermakov, Georgy Alexandrovich, will talk about the symptoms and treatment of the disease:
- Syphilitic - diagnosed if there is a primary chancre on the skin.
- Papillomavirus is accompanied by the appearance of condylomas.
- Balanoposthitis with gardnerellosis proceeds with almost no symptoms. If the patient’s immune system works well, then after a few days, the disease goes away on its own.
- Circular balanoposthitis manifests itself with clear red spots on the head of the penis.
The disease is caused by non-specific causes.
In this case, the signs of balanoposthitis will depend on the primary disease:
- With diabetes, a man’s head is reddening in the penis, its sensitivity increases, pain, cracks are possible, and scars remain in place.
- Psoriatic balanoposthitis is manifested by the appearance of red scales.
- With flat lichen - on the head appear nodules that have an irregular shape, covered with white scales. The skin turns red.
Features of the disease in a child
Sometimes small children can also come across a disease. As a rule, they are diagnosed with irritative or simple infectious balanoposthitis, which lasts for 5-6 days, after which it passes.
Among the causes of its appearance in children, there are:
- Developed foreskin hanging down and shifting with difficulty.
- Abundant secretion of sperm, which accumulates in the crease between the foreskin and the glans penis.
- Failure to follow simple hygiene rules.
To make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment, the doctor will examine the patient and prescribe him some tests:
- A general blood test, in which you can see the presence of an inflammatory process by the number of leukocytes and ESR.
- A general urine test, in which an increased white blood cell count will indicate the presence of inflammation.
A blood test for ESR is a non-specific indicator that makes it possible to detect inflammation of various origins
- Bacterial analysis of urine to identify the pathogen and its sensitivity to antibacterial drugs.
- PCR will make it possible to isolate the DNA of the pathogen and determine its type.
- Scraping from the urethra for the presence of pale treponema.
In patients whose immune system is weakened, as well as those who do not follow the rules of personal hygiene and do not conduct treatment, complications may develop:
- Chronic balanoposthitis can occur if treatment is not started on time or completed early. In this case, remission is possible at first, but later the symptoms of the disease will again aggravate. Treating chronic pathology is much more difficult.
- Decreased sexual function. The inflammatory process can lead to atrophy of the receptors and a decrease in sensitivity. In this case, the potency decreases.
- Cystitis, prostatitis and other diseases of the genitourinary system. The pathogenic bacteria that caused balanoposthitis can rise up the urethra and cause these diseases. As a rule, this occurs in people with reduced immunity and those who did not follow the principles of treatment.
Symptoms and complications of prostatitis
- Lymphangitis - the transition of the inflammatory process to the inguinal lymph nodes.
- Paraphimosis - clamping the head with the foreskin. In this case, there is a violation of the blood circulation of the organ, lymph flow and an increase in the size of the head of the penis, which becomes red and painful. This condition requires immediate medical attention, otherwise gangrene is possible.
- The gangrene of the penis is characterized by the death of tissues that turn black. The disease begins suddenly for a man. As a result, its general condition worsens, the temperature rises and foci of necrosis appear.
How to cure balanoposthitis? The doctor will answer this question after examining and passing the necessary tests that can identify the causes of the inflammatory process.
Each patient must follow certain rules:
- Observe penis hygiene.
- Eliminate the pathogen of inflammation. For this, antiseptic solutions, tinctures of herbs, etc. can be used.
- Carry out antibacterial and antiviral therapy using drugs. An individual treatment regimen can be prescribed only by the attending physician.
Soloviev Nikolay Konstantinovich, doctor-urologist-andrologist at the Moscow Doctor medical center, will tell you what caused the disease and how to treat it:
The main methods of treatment:
- Taking medications (tablets, ointments, solutions) prescribed by your doctor. So "Levomekol" with balanoposthitis is considered a fairly effective drug.
- In case of complications, drugs are used that can increase the body's defenses.
- The fungal type of the disease is treated with antifungal agents (ointments Nizoral, Clotrimazole, etc.).
- With the anaerobic form, antibiotics are indicated (Azithromycin, etc.).
- Surgical intervention, which involves excision of the foreskin. In such cases, the patient should not try to open the head on their own, as this can lead to microcracks and further aggravate the inflammatory process.
- Perhaps the treatment of balanoposthitis in men with folk remedies. Decoctions and infusions of medicinal herbs can alleviate the general condition of the patient and reduce the manifestations of the inflammatory process. Doctors recommend doing baths, compresses and rubbing the penis with such drugs.
The use of antibacterial drugs
Very often, pathogens are caused by pathogens, among which are Escherichia coli, staphylococci, streptococci and other aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. In such cases, the doctor will prescribe a course of antibacterial therapy to the patient. Depending on what became the causative agent, broad-spectrum antibiotics are prescribed:
- Antibacterial drugs are prescribed only in case of severe forms of the disease or when balanoposthitis is caused by sexual infections.
- Antibacterial therapy is not prescribed when an allergic, viral or fungal balanoposthitis is established.
- Antibiotics for balanoposthitis, which are considered the most effective, are Doxycycline and Levomycetin tablets.
- Often prescribed drugs: Erythromycin, Roxithromycin and Oletetrin, derivatives of quinol Nevigramon, nitrofuran Furagin or hydroxyquinoline Nitroxolin.
Azithromycin is an effective antibacterial agent. The price in pharmacies is from 32 rubles.
- Anaerobic balanoposthitis is treated with Azithromycin.
- When diagnosing a specific infection, penicillins and cephalosporins (“Ciprolet”) are prescribed.
- Treatment of candidal balanoposthitis in men is carried out by "Fluconazole" or "Clotrimazole".
- Chlamydial and ureaplasma types of balanoposthitis are treated with metronidazole derivatives.
In addition to tablets for systemic treatment, injections and intravenous infusions of medications are used depending on the symptoms and severity of the disease.
If balanoposthitis is bacterial in nature, then both partners should take antibacterial drugs. During treatment, alcohol and unprotected sex should be excluded.
The use of ointments
For local treatment of balanoposthitis, various ointments are widely used:
- With the fungal nature of the disease, the ointment should have an antifungal effect. These include: "Fluconazole", "Candide", etc. "Clotrimazole" with balanoposthitis is the most popular of this group of drugs. Pimafucort ointment, which incorporates the properties of antifungal and hormonal drugs, is recognized as equally effective. It is often prescribed if it is necessary to cure chronic candidal balanoposthitis.
- In the case of an allergic or autoimmune nature of the inflammation, doctors recommend using the hormonal ointments Oxycort, Lamisil, Lokacorten, etc.
Dressings with ointment are applied to the damaged areas at night after thorough hygiene of the genitals. This procedure is done within 5 days. Treatment is mandatory under the supervision of a physician
- "Triderm" for balanoposthitis is advised to use when a mixed type of infection is detected in the patient. Ointment has antibacterial, antifungal and hormonal effects.
- In case of nonspecific bacterial infection, the combined ointment Levomekol is used. It contains chloramphenicol, which has an antibacterial effect and methyluracil, which is able to repair damaged tissues.
- A powerful antibacterial effect has ointment from balanoposthitis "Baneocin". Bacitracin and neomycin, which are part of it, are able to cope with the infection and relieve the inflammation process.
Ointments should be used for a long period of time. At the same time, they are applied to the affected area several times a day.
It is impossible to use ointments for the treatment of balanoposthitis if the patient has:
- Malignant neoplasms.
- Trophic ulcers.
- Cutaneous tuberculosis.
- Allergy to individual components of the drug.
What ointments are used for the disease? Tell the venereologist, urologist Lenkin Sergey Gennadievich:
Before you start using any drug, you must conduct a test. To do this, a small amount of ointment is applied to the back of the palm or near the elbow. If after some time, redness, itching, rash or burning occurs in this place, then this remedy should not be used.
The use of antiseptic solutions
For local therapy of the disease, various antiseptic solutions are often used. Allowed their use at home. The most popular are:
- Water-based Chlorophyllipt Solution. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
- Erosive balanoposthitis, accompanied by the formation of ulcers and erosion, is treated with Fucorcin (Castellani liquid), which is able to cope not only with pathogenic bacteria, but also with fungi.
- For disinfection and treatment of inflammation, Chlorhexidine is used. The solution is used for washing, lotions, baths and applications. Miramistin has a similar effect. But when using these solutions you need to be careful, as there is a possibility of damage to the mucous membrane and the occurrence of dryness on the skin.
Use of baths
If the disease does not have a complication in the form of phimosis, the doctor may recommend therapeutic baths. For their preparation, you can use "Furacilin", "Dioxidine" or "Miramistin." The duration of the procedure should not exceed 15 minutes. To achieve maximum effect, the penis should be carefully moistened with a solution. After the bath, the site of inflammation is carefully wiped with a sterile cloth and treated with any antiseptic.
Trays of chamomile broth are prepared as follows: add about 20 grams of chamomile flowers to a liter of hot water. The resulting solution is used for disinfecting lotions
The doctor can advise such baths:
- If yeast-like fungi are detected in the test results, it is worth using baking soda, which dissolves in warm water.
- If there is phimosis, then after the operation, you should use baths with decoctions of medicinal herbs (chamomile, calendula or sage).
- When balanoposthitis has become chronic, the patient is prescribed baths with Miramistin. Additionally, it is necessary to use corticosteroids (ointment "Prednisolone", "Oxycort", etc.).
The use of folk remedies
Treatment of balanoposthitis at home can be supplemented with folk remedies. It is proved that some herbs can relieve inflammation, eliminate the burning sensation and other signs of the disease. The most popular traditional medicine include:
- Aloe leaves with anti-inflammatory effect. They are applied to the affected area, previously cleansed of the skin.
- Compresses with a decoction of pharmaceutical chamomile. For its preparation, dried flowers are poured with boiling water and kept in a water bath for 5-10 minutes. After cooling, the broth is filtered and used to prepare compresses.
Preparation of funds from olive oil and tincture of calendula
- Treatment of erosive balanoposthitis involves the use of olive oil and tincture made from calendula. To prepare the product, one spoon of dried marigold flowers is poured with 70 ml of olive oil. Infuse the drug for 3 weeks, putting it in the sun. When the tincture is ready, it wipes all sores and cracks.
- Plantain is considered an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. A leaf of the plant needs to be washed well and applied to the sore spot, secured with a gauze bandage. Every half hour, the bandage with the sheet should be replaced with a new one.
Dear readers, from the video below you will learn some tips on how to treat pathology at home:
- A good tool is sage, which is used for making baths. To do this, a few tablespoons of dried grass is poured into 500 ml of boiling water and aged in a water bath for 5-10 minutes. After complete cooling, the broth is filtered and used for a bath, wipe or lotion.
- St. John's wort has a healing property. A decoction of it is prepared and used in the same way as a means of sage.
Treatment of balanoposthitis with folk remedies will be effective only with their regular use for a long period of time. It is important to pay attention to the characteristics of your body and the possible individual intolerance to traditional medicine.
List of Popular Medicines
Treatment of balanoposthitis is inextricably linked with the use of drugs. A special place is given to local drugs:
- Miramistin is the best ointment for treatment that has a bactericidal effect. Due to the wide spectrum of action, it is prescribed in the treatment of any type of balanoposthitis. The ointment has one side effect - a burning sensation, which after a few minutes passes on its own. The medicine is not prescribed for people with individual intolerance to its individual components.
- “Levomekol” - helps speed up the healing process. Ointment has proven effective against many bacteria (aerobes and anaerobes). In case of individual intolerance to its components, an allergic reaction is possible.
- Triderm is able to treat balanoposthitis not only at the initial stage, but also when the disease has managed to become chronic. The active components of the ointment are able to relieve inflammation, have antiallergic, antifungal, and antibacterial effects. Use the drug several times a day for 2-4 weeks. In case of intolerance to the components of the drug, irritation, itching, dry skin, and the appearance of a rash are possible. Triderm cannot be used for skin tuberculosis, chickenpox, or skin reactions that result from vaccination.
- "Furacilin" is used to prepare baths or lotions. The medicine has a broad antimicrobial effect. Skin reactions in the form of rashes and dermatitis are possible. With prolonged use, inflammation of the nerve is possible. Caution should be given to people with kidney disease.
Very effective remedy. Its price is low, within 100 rubles
- "Chlorhexidine" is an antiseptic that can be used for washing, lotions, baths or compresses. Its introduction into the urethra is allowed. Adverse reactions are extremely rare and manifest as itching, rash, or dry skin. Chlorhexidine does not cause an overdose.
- Hydrogen peroxide is used for disinfection. To do this, it treats affected areas of the skin. Among the shortcomings of the remedy is a temporary effect, which completely disappears a few hours after use. It is recommended to use peroxide when the first signs of balanoposthitis occur. It is not used if the patient has phimosis.
- Clotrimazole is known for its antimicrobial activity. The medicine is prescribed for candida balanoposthitis. To do this, the ointment is applied to the skin after hygiene procedures. The duration of use depends on the degree of the disease. In some cases, adverse reactions were noted (redness and burning of the skin). In this case, the drug should be discontinued and reused only after the disappearance of side symptoms. "Clotrimazole" is not prescribed for children and people with hypersensitivity to its components.
- Potassium permanganate has excellent antiseptic properties and accelerates the healing process of wounds. It can be used at different stages of pathology. But this must be done carefully, since undissolved particles of potassium permanganate can cause a severe burn. She has no contraindications for use.
In addition to treating inflammation, potassium permanganate baths can be prescribed as additional hygiene measures for patients
- "Fluconazole" is effective only in case of candidal balanoposthitis. It is rapidly absorbed into the skin and acts for a long period of time. An analogue of the drug are ointments "Flucostat" and "Diflucan."
- Bepanten is used to speed up the healing process. The ointment has anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and regenerating effects. The cream is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of balanoposthitis. It is applied to clean and dry skin several times a day. The duration of use depends on the degree of damage and the individual characteristics of the patient. In some cases, a reaction may occur on the skin, so it is better not to use it for people with high sensitivity to the active components of the drug.
- Pimafukort has a powerful anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial effect and is effective against many pathogens. With prolonged use, striae may appear at the site of application. The medicine is not prescribed for babies up to 1 year old and for those who are allergic to certain components of the ointment.
- "Fukortsin" is prescribed as an antimicrobial and antifungal agent. It is used for the preparation of baths, compresses and applications. After it dries on the skin, the treated area must be lubricated with cream. A possible side effect in the form of burning. "Fukortsin" is not used in case of high sensitivity of the patient's body to its components. They are not advised to treat large areas of the skin with them, since the active components can penetrate the bloodstream and have a toxic effect.
Fucorcin is an antiseptic solution with high bactericidal and disinfectant properties. The average price in pharmacies is from 75 rubles.
- "Syntomycin ointment" with balanoposthitis is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is active against many pathogenic bacteria. It is applied to the affected areas with a thin layer several times a day for 3-5 days. With prolonged use, the medicine can cause side effects in the form of itching, burning and redness of the skin.
- Tetracycline ointment has an antibacterial effect and is able to stop the reproduction of pathogenic microflora.
Is balanoposthitis contagious?
This disease with untimely treatment can cause a lot of unpleasant consequences. Therefore, many men are interested in the question: "Is balanoposthitis contagious and can they be infected from a partner"? Urologists claim that this disease is not contagious. However, there are a number of infections that are sexually transmitted and can cause inflammation of the foreskin and glans penis.
Another question that often arises in men is: “Is it possible to go to a sauna or a bathhouse with balanoposthitis”?
Water procedures are well reflected in the patient’s condition, however, in this case, a sauna will not be the best option. This is due to the fact that:
- In such places, there is a risk of catching a different infection, which will negatively affect the patient's condition.
- In conditions of elevated temperature, the existing bacteria will develop more rapidly.
Therefore, until complete recovery, it is better to refuse to visit such places.
At first glance, balanoposthitis is a harmless disease.But if you do not pay attention to it in time, then the consequences can be extremely unpleasant. The course of treatment should be prescribed by a doctor after identifying the causes of the disease.
The causes of the disease
Candidiasis balanoposthitis in men can occur due to a number of reasons. The most common ones include the following:
- prolonged use of hormonal drugs,
- acquired phimosis at birth,
- detergents, medicines and allergic reactions to food,
- lack of personal hygiene regarding the genitals,
- autoimmune abnormalities
- sex without contraceptives with a woman who has candidal vaginitis,
- some skin diseases, such as psoriasis or dermatitis,
- overweight, obesity,
- mechanical damage to the male genital organ.
Candidiasis balanoposthitis refers not only to unpleasant pathologies, but is also dangerous to the health of a man. The first manifestations of the disease are accompanied by symptoms such as:
- Any changes in the appearance of the foreskin. This includes swelling or edema.
- Redness. This symptom sometimes appears after excessive drinking. In this case, even if no other signs of the disease are noticed, it is necessary to undergo an examination immediately. Some patients postpone a visit to the doctor, because they think that this is a common allergic reaction to alcohol, but this is a mistake. If you tighten further, red spots will soon appear on the head of the penis.
- Discomfort in the groin area. These include symptoms such as bad smell, burning, and itching.
- Damage to the inner leaf of the foreskin.
After such signs, the man urgently needs to begin treatment of candidal balanoposthitis. Otherwise, the condition worsens, and the patient suffers from more severe symptoms, namely:
- enlarged lymph nodes in the groin area,
- the appearance of areas with dead particles of the epithelium,
- the occurrence of erosion and ulcers on the glans penis. After a certain period of time, discharge from these problem areas begins to occur. They are especially noticeable after immediately after intercourse,
- peeling of the dermis around erosion,
- pain during urination. After each trip to the toilet, a white substance will be released from the urethra.
Symptoms also depend on the form of the disease, acute or chronic. In the first case, candida balanoposthitis will provoke severe pain of the genital organ, its redness, as well as elevated temperature. As for the chronic form of the disease, the patient will suffer from edema, redness of the glans penis and its constant humidity. Symptoms become more intense immediately after intercourse or in places with high humidity.
How is the diagnosis of the disease
To begin with, the doctor conducts a conversation with the patient and learns from him how candidal balanoposthitis manifested itself and when its first signs were noticed. Next, the man will be sent for the following tests:
- Urinalysis (bacteriological). It is necessary to determine the nature of the origin of the infectious disease.
- Scraping taken from the urethra. This analysis is necessary to exclude the presence of syphilis in the patient.
- General urine analysis. This study will provide an understanding of whether inflammatory processes exist in the body. This will become known due to the increased number of leukocytes in urine.
- Polymerase chain reaction. This type of study will recognize the type of infection. It will provide an opportunity to choose the most effective drugs for the treatment of acute or chronic candidal balanoposthitis in men.
- A blood test is taken in almost all cases to determine if the patient has any other diseases. It is done to determine the number of leukocytes and the erythrocyte sedimentation rate. If the number of the former exceeds the norm, and the ESR is increased, then the body is under the influence of inflammatory processes.
What types of therapy exist
Depending on the severity of the disease, specialists, for treatment, can use 3 types of therapy, namely:
- complex therapy. It includes not only the treatment of genital preparations, but also the administration of pharmacological agents. To begin to successfully treat candidal balanoposthitis, it is enough to take fluconazole once a day. It is able to disrupt the biosynthesis of membranes and destroy fungal microorganisms. In addition, a man must follow a diet, not drink alcohol and eat properly. It is also worth excluding from the diet spicy dishes, pastry, pickled and sweet delicacies. To return immunity to tone, the patient should take immunostimulants and supplements in the form of vitamin complexes. The duration of such treatment always depends on the severity of the disease and the effectiveness of the therapy used,
- local therapy. This type of treatment involves treatment with ointments or other drugs only the affected organ. The patient will have to take care of himself daily, that is, prepare baths at home, remove secretions and plaque. In this case, the doctor will prescribe antimycotic drugs, usually this course of treatment is about 14 days. It is very important to adhere to all the doctor’s recommendations, and after the first 7 days the patient will feel an improvement and the symptoms will almost disappear
- surgical intervention. Most often, surgery is required for those patients who have started candida balanoposthitis, and as a result, he went into a chronic form. The procedure involves a longitudinal section of the foreskin of the penis. If the operation was successful, the patient will be prescribed additional treatment with medications. This will include antifungal and antibacterial agents.
What preventive measures include
To prevent the disease, each man must follow some simple rules, namely:
- It is not recommended to constantly have sexual intercourse with unverified partners. This is especially true for unprotected sex. The likelihood of infection will significantly decrease if the partner is alone and for a long time. For more confidence, you can visit a doctor and conduct the necessary studies. Since each of the couple may not know about the presence of any deviations.
- Do not use self-medication.
- Daily personal hygiene.
- Regular change of underwear.
- Eating foods such as natural yogurt, garlic, grapefruit juice, red pepper, lingonberry. Such food helps suppress the activity of fungal infections.
- Examination by a urologist every six months.
- It is recommended to buy only such underwear that is not sewn from synthetic materials.